none
Why Microsoft's "AI" cannot block spam bombs? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Ok, today the forums defaced again.

Every time it is the same pattern - a new user with zero points posts a lot of messages in multiple forums. While legitimate new users struggle with the silly "validation".

Either the forum administration allows this deliberately, or all the AI people there have left ...  thoughts?

-- pa

• Changed type Pavel A Thursday, April 18, 2019 11:37 AM
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 11:35 AM

All replies

• The forum admins emailed me asking me to report only one abusive post per spam user. When we flag all posts by a user, the forum admins apparently get overwhelmed or confused or maybe flush all reports. In any case, it makes it more likely the spam will remain. Plus we have no more posts to report.

I agree we should not have to report these spam posts. The number of spam accounts per day has increased from about 4 to at least 20 per day in the last few months. The spam is extremely easy to spot. The forum admins could do it much more easily than we. Just look at all forums, and filter on posts with no reply. The spam is very obvious.

Edit: There are a few regulars reporting the spam posts. But there is no way for us to coordinate. One day this week I reported 31 spam user accounts (one post per spam user). Most of the users posted 40 or more times, often more than one per minute. Several forums are no longer used because of this.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, April 18, 2019 11:48 AM
  • When we flag all posts by a user, the forum admins apparently get overwhelmed or confused or maybe flush all reports. 

Richard, that's the silliest thing I've heard in a while.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 1:20 PM
  • Dave, I agree. But I have seen several cases where all posts by a spammer have been reported and all of the posts remain, even weeks later. The only recourse then is to email fissues with a link to the profile.

I don't know what the forum admin's procedure looks like, or how often they address spam. But I have decided I will soon stop reporting spam, except in forums I moderate.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, April 18, 2019 2:07 PM
  • I agree, I don't know what they're doing or if they monitor the spam reports. I usually just email but only for areas I frequent.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 2:10 PM
  • I started reporting spam and my account ended up banned, I wasn't -emailed and no one asked me not to report multiple spams from one user, so i no longer report any spam.
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 2:27 PM
  • Ok, let them try again. Here's a new repro ;)

-- pa

Sunday, April 21, 2019 10:30 AM
  • Seems to me that one problem is that the approach to spam by forum administration is reactive instead of proactive.

Sunday, April 21, 2019 12:08 PM