Popular Threads list doesn't contain the right threads RRS feed

Answers

• The goal of the popular threads feature is to surface most viewed answers...maybe we shoudl change the name. It is not intended to surface most replied to or hot threads. People not coming back to view answers to their questions is a problem in these forums, but this simple list area isn't the place we intend to address that.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:47 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi All,

Popular Threads that you see in Forum View (List of threads) are results from top 5 threads that are Answered, Created in last 90 days and then sorted it by popularity. Popularity is an aggregrate number of thread that counts for the number of views and replies.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
    Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:36 AM

All replies

• Even I would like know what is the criteria of selecting the most popular threads.
    Hope this helps !!
    Sudeep   |    My Blog
    Friday, November 27, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Hi All,

Popular Threads that you see in Forum View (List of threads) are results from top 5 threads that are Answered, Created in last 90 days and then sorted it by popularity. Popularity is an aggregrate number of thread that counts for the number of views and replies.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
    Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Thanks for the clarification.  But I think a quick look at any of the forums mentioned and you'll see that this list does not reflect the reality of what the "popular" threads are in a given forum.  Some of the threads haven't had posts for weeks.  Given the issues with search over the last several weeks, it seems unlikely that these threads are being declared popular based off # of views.  There are definitely threads that have more replies.  The list is not working as you intended.

Also, why the need for the thread to have an answer before it makes the popular list?  Many times, the "answer" doesn't actually resolve the problem (because the person that posted the question doesn't come back).

Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Monday, December 14, 2009 5:42 AM
  • The goal of the popular threads feature is to surface most viewed answers...maybe we shoudl change the name. It is not intended to surface most replied to or hot threads. People not coming back to view answers to their questions is a problem in these forums, but this simple list area isn't the place we intend to address that.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:47 AM
    Answerer
  • I do not believe that the threads reflected in this list represent the "most viewed" answers.  Can you check the post stats (start with the w7itprohardware forum please) and confirm that that's actually the case?  I believe that there are threads within the last 90 days that have answers AND more views.  But I don't know of an easy way that *I* can confirm this.  If you know of one, pass it on and I'm happy to go do the leg work :)

What about cases where the answer isn't really an answer?  Is there some way we should be reporting these threads to you so that they can be reviewed and pulled from the list?

And I wasn't trying to imply that this box should be used to fix the problem of people not coming back to the posts.  My point was that there are threads that may be more popular that don't happen to have an answer marked in them (even though they may very well contain a valid answer).  Seems like those threads would be just as valuable to highlight as the ones that have marked answers.

Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:55 AM