CRM 4 - General questions RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using Microsoft technologies and 100s of applications for ...since Windows and PC came to market.  I thought I knew how to intuitively navigate applications.  Not Dynamics CRM I guess...

Is there an online training that provides business user information on how to logically use CRM?  I can't figure out to start by creating an Account, a Contact, a LEAD or an Opportunity.

Also, what happens with all the emails that I have selected "Track in CRM"?; they are not tied to that Contact in CRM - not that I can see. 

What happens if you select "Track in CRM" but that email recipient is not currently in CRM?

Also, how can I NOT have the auto generated CRM number applied to every email that get's sent - this looks unprofessional to clients.

Why is the phone number field in any CRM record not formatted as such, why do I have to insert dashes between area code, exchange and number?

Why, when I create a Task / Activity and I go to the Calender to select a date & time does it not check my ACTUAL Calendar or insert it there when I'm done creating it?

Why, when I send an email, is it not an actual Outlook email but some other type that I can't find in my Sent Items?

In my Leads section, why is there no "Account" column, or the ability for me to create one?

SORRY for venting, just frustrated and I thought I was a sophisticated business user.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 1:18 PM

Answers

• Is there an online training that provides business user information on how to logically use CRM?  I can't figure out to start by creating an Account, a Contact, a LEAD or an Opportunity.

There's the user guide which you can get here 

Also, what happens with all the emails that I have selected "Track in CRM"?; they are not tied to that Contact in CRM - not that I can see. 

Do the emails addresses on the contact match the email addresses the emails were sent to? It may fail to match correctly if you have mulitple accounts and contacts with the same email address. In this case, you should match them manually by opening the email record in CRM, clicking on the sender's email address and then resolve it to an existing record. It will then appear in the history for that contact/account.

What happens if you select "Track in CRM" but that email recipient is not currently in CRM?

The email will just appear in your 'In progress' queue and you can either set the regarding field to an existing entity record, resolve the email address to an existing record  or create a new record to associate it to.

Also, how can I NOT have the auto generated CRM number applied to every email that get's sent - this looks unprofessional to clients.

You can turn this off under Settings/Admin/System Settings/Email tab and un-tick 'Use tracking token'

Why is the phone number field in any CRM record not formatted as such, why do I have to insert dashes between area code, exchange and number?

Different regions use different phone number formats. If you're comfortable customising the system (or willing to start learning), you could use javascript to format the phone number in the on-change event of the phone number field on the form. This is a good example to get you started.

Why, when I create a Task / Activity and I go to the Calender to select a date & time does it not check my ACTUAL Calendar or insert it there when I'm done creating it?

Do you have the CRM for Outlook client installed? You can create the tasks in Outlook and then track them in CRM, which may help you stop adding conflicting appointments etc. If you add them via CRM, the Outlook client will sync them to your Outlook calendar on a predefined schedule (every 15 minutes by default I believe) while the client is running.

Why, when I send an email, is it not an actual Outlook email but some other type that I can't find in my Sent Items?

Is your user account set to send email via the email router or CRM for Outlook client? You can check this under your user settings. The email router typically sends via SMTP and will not appear in your email sent items. If you send via the Outlook client and set your client settings up like this, any email you send via the web interface will sync with Outlook sent items, but Outlook needs to be running to do this.

In my Leads section, why is there no "Account" column, or the ability for me to create one?

Do you mean on the list view of leads (My Leads, Open Leads etc)? Also, do you mean that you will be adding an account then associating leads with that account? Out of the box, it works the other way around. You can add a lead and then associate many accounts with it (a 1:N relationship). If you want to do this the other way around, you can add a N:1 relationship with the account entity, then this will let you add the column to your view. Again, this means delving into basic customisation, but it's all very possible.

Don't worry about getting frustrated, it happens to all of us!

Neil.

Neil - My CRM Blog
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Hi Tom,

No, it doesn't. The tracking tokens are useful to help match email replies to the correct account/contact/case etc, but smart matching does a pretty good job of this also.

Neil.

Neil - My CRM Blog
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Jay,

Below links may help you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5996449_use-microsoft-crm-4_0.html

http://crmdynamo.com/2008/06/crm-40-concepts-what-are-leads-contacts-and-opportunities/ 

Thanks, Ankit Shah
    Inkey Solutions, India.
    Microsoft Certified Business Management Solutions Professionals
    http://www.inkeysolutions.com/MicrosoftDynamicsCRM.html
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Is there an online training that provides business user information on how to logically use CRM?  I can't figure out to start by creating an Account, a Contact, a LEAD or an Opportunity.

There's the user guide which you can get here 

Do the emails addresses on the contact match the email addresses the emails were sent to? It may fail to match correctly if you have mulitple accounts and contacts with the same email address. In this case, you should match them manually by opening the email record in CRM, clicking on the sender's email address and then resolve it to an existing record. It will then appear in the history for that contact/account.

The email will just appear in your 'In progress' queue and you can either set the regarding field to an existing entity record, resolve the email address to an existing record  or create a new record to associate it to.

You can turn this off under Settings/Admin/System Settings/Email tab and un-tick 'Use tracking token'

Different regions use different phone number formats. If you're comfortable customising the system (or willing to start learning), you could use javascript to format the phone number in the on-change event of the phone number field on the form. This is a good example to get you started.

Do you have the CRM for Outlook client installed? You can create the tasks in Outlook and then track them in CRM, which may help you stop adding conflicting appointments etc. If you add them via CRM, the Outlook client will sync them to your Outlook calendar on a predefined schedule (every 15 minutes by default I believe) while the client is running.

Is your user account set to send email via the email router or CRM for Outlook client? You can check this under your user settings. The email router typically sends via SMTP and will not appear in your email sent items. If you send via the Outlook client and set your client settings up like this, any email you send via the web interface will sync with Outlook sent items, but Outlook needs to be running to do this.

Do you mean on the list view of leads (My Leads, Open Leads etc)? Also, do you mean that you will be adding an account then associating leads with that account? Out of the box, it works the other way around. You can add a lead and then associate many accounts with it (a 1:N relationship). If you want to do this the other way around, you can add a N:1 relationship with the account entity, then this will let you add the column to your view. Again, this means delving into basic customisation, but it's all very possible.

Don't worry about getting frustrated, it happens to all of us!

Neil.

Neil - My CRM Blog
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 5:08 PM
  • You will find a wealth of information to include tutorials and other training content in the Resource Center which is available through your CRM application unless the company has removed it from the site map.

http://rc.crm.dynamics.com/rc/2011/en-us/on-prem/default.aspx

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Niel

Going back to the point about removing the tracking numbers from emails:

Does this cause any adverse affect. I agree with Jay that it looks a little unprofessional but I would not want to remove it if this were to cause a problem.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Hi Tom,

No, it doesn't. The tracking tokens are useful to help match email replies to the correct account/contact/case etc, but smart matching does a pretty good job of this also.

Neil.

Neil - My CRM Blog
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:40 AM