none
Unhelpful positioning of message list after content of message list changes RRS feed

• Question

• I have been replying to more than one question via the preview threads (in IE TechNet forums ICIM) and noticed that after posting the forum page is reshown positioned at the bottom-most reply that I made.  That might be great if I was going down the list in reverse chronological order but a PITA when trying to reply in chronological order.   Workaround to avoid having to scroll back up will be to do a Refresh but either way I lose my place in the list.

BTW this may be related to a similar symptom seen on Answers for some time but there my replies are actually mixed in with the new preview thread which is disconcerting as well as unuseful.

Edit:  Title change:  Was:  Unuseful positioning when posting multiple times from preview threads.  That is just an example of a more general problem.
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Okay, so you're in the forum list view, and you click to slide open and view an individual thread, right?

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:41 AM
    Owner
  • Okay, so you're in the forum list view, and you click to slide open and view an individual thread, right?

Right.   And now I am in My Threads.   I have already replied to one, which is above yours.   The symptom that I am complaining about will only be seen after I Submit this, so I will do that before I am finished composing in order to make a more accurate observation for this case.   Notice though that in this case I am now replying in reverse chronological order which is the reverse of the scenario specified by my problem statement.

Edit:  As expected, there was no scrolling required this time.   The position that the message list was given after the Submit was the same.   I will have to try to remember to get back to this after I have replied to an older thread.   But I'm not even sure if the problem symptom occurs in this particular message list.

---

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:56 PM
  • I'm trying to track this...

1. Go to My Threads

2. In the List view, click a carat to open a thread.

...Then what?

Sorry. I'm having a tough time imagining the steps.

By the way, Robert, can you email me? It's edprice at Microsoft. You've had some great contributions on this forum.

Thanks!

Ed

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:22 PM
    Owner
  • Sorry. I'm having a tough time imagining the steps.

I think I just figured out what I am seeing and therefore may have found a workaround.   I think that after I post from a preview thread I am repositioned at the last opened thread, which in my initial report just happened to be one that I had also posted from, hence my assumption about the cause.   IOW for a repro there is no requirement to post from more than one preview thread in the same message list, just to have a preview thread open which is below the one that I am posting from.   Then workarounds would be:  close preview threads as you go up; or don't go up--go down only; or just don't bother trying to post from preview threads--unless it is the last or only one you have open.   ;  }

FWIW I think that this is new behaviour.   In the past I have posted multiple times from one message list without having to reposition after Submit and I *never* manually close opened preview threads. 

So, Ed.   A repro procedure you could infer from this description would be:

• open a preview thread down near the bottom of a message list
      • without closing that thread open another one closer to the top of the message list
      • Submit a post from the second (higher) preview thread.
      • Where is the message list positioned after the Submit?   My expectation would be: where I posted from.   My observation is that it is instead (unhelpfully, as I first characterized it) positioned at the lowest opened preview thread.

And here is a report from an actual application of that procedure:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/comsandbox/thread/3d20ea0e-b6a4-4c33-adb5-5a0aa331e8ff#e6bf1696-df68-470f-a8f9-0f8a4ec48a8b

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:42 AM
  • workarounds would be:  close preview threads as you go up

Scratch that idea.  Incredibly, after that, instead of maintaining position, the list is scrolled to the bottom!
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Thanks! I submitted this as a bug request.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:56 PM
    Owner
  • Robin wasn't able to repro this bug. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:00 PM
    Owner
  • Any ideas?

I usually always start out from  MVP Forums.   Perhaps there is an incompatibility from there?   E.g. I get into My Threads from there...

So to try to avoid that and start with a new instance of a different browser I started  IE9 X64  and opened

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/

Then I opened this thread in a preview (since it is near the top of the list and contains several messages), scrolled down to the bottom of it and clicked the Close thread button.   The whole message list scrolled down to the bottom of the window.   Neither the thread I closed nor the one which came next in the list was visible.   What sense does that make?   Can he reproduce that?   Perhaps if that is made more usable the original problem involving repositioning after Submit will be addressed then too?   Note that just fixing that won't be as helpful as fixing the problem with Submit but it is probably related and it is easier to repro.

---

Friday, October 19, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Hi Robert.

I have tried to repro this issue both at home and work on multiple workstations, Firefox, Chrome and IE9. Closing the thread preview doesn't seem to switch posts out of position/order or bug the post to display in any wrong way, if that is what you are refering to.

If you meant the sudden jump to the bottom of the page every time you close a thread preview regardless of where the post was, I think it is by-the-design. I'm still a little confused because I'm unsure of what phenomenom you are refering to.

Dengqiang "Robin" Ren (Chinasoft) EPX Service Engineering Support Team

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 7:08 PM
  • If you meant the sudden jump to the bottom of the page every time you close a thread preview regardless of where the post was, I think it is by-the-design.

Yes.  Unhelpful.   Must be just for ease of implementation for the programmer.   Instead I think if a user is closing opened threads and you needed to find somewhere different to scroll to after the close it would make more sense to scroll to the bottom-most opened thread--e.g. the same way that Submit does (though that does not involve a close), which is what my complaint was about in the first place.  So that couldn't be that hard to change the close behavior since that functionality obviously already exists for the Submit (though that does not involve a close).   Then I would also request that instead of scrolling at all after a Submit (when there are other threads open) that the thread's position remain unchanged (e.g. the way it probably would if there were no other threads open).   Also, since I think I have seen the no other threads open case scrolling to the top of the thread that the submit was done in I would like to point out that I do not find that repositioning useful either; e.g. it still forces the poster to scroll manually to the place where the new post would be found in order to proof-read it.

---

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:58 PM
  • I posted a link to this thread in a response to a survey about forum satisfaction.   <eg>
    Friday, October 26, 2012 3:11 PM