none
Update subproject information from within master project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. We manage projects within Project Server on-prem. We have a few of our project manager with quite a number of projects assigned to each of them. To make things easier for managing their schedules we are looking at creating a master project for each manager and then they can add of their projects into the plan as linked subprojects. This will make things so much easier when they are updating their plans as they wouldn't have to constantly be loading/closing separate project plans.

I have figured out that they can manage their resource pool for each project from within the master project by right-clinking on any task within a subproject and going to assign resource > add resources. This allows them to add/remove resources for just the one subproject without impacting any other project or indeed the master project which they are doing this from. Great.

My question is in regards to updating some other project-level data for the subprojects from within the master project. Managers will need to update their Status Dates and potentially 'Project Information' on a fairly regular basis. Ideally, they should be able to do this on a subproject by subproject basis all from within the master project. If they had to load each subproject plan separately that would not achieve the efficiency benefit that we are aiming for. I have found that when in the master project updating the any data in the Project Information area or the status date only applies it to the master project itself and not to any of the subprojects. Is there a way to be able to update this info on a subproject by subproject basis all from within the master project? Ideally would like to avoid using macros, but if that is the only way then so be it.

Thanks.

Thursday, October 15, 2020 11:26 AM

All replies

• Andy --

Forgive me for my late reply to your question, but since no one else attempted to answer it, I thought I would give it a try.  I appreciate your earnestness in wanting to save your PMs time on updating their projects by using the master project approach.  I did a brief experiment and discovered that there is no way to set a Status Date for each subproject  from the master project.  Since the master project is a single project, even though it consists of separate projects as subprojects, it is only possible to set the Status Date for the master project.  Sorry to give you the bad news.

On the other hand, I do have a question for you:  Why isn't the Status Date the same for every project in the master project?  I think a good methodology for using Project Server is for each PM to status their enterprise projects at generally the same time and the same day each week.  For example, in a number of the organizations with which I have worked, I have recommended that they set aside Monday morning as the time when every PM will update their own projects.  And the Status Date would always be Friday of last week.  So, using this methodology, the Status Date for every project would always be Friday of last week.

Are your PMs doing something different that requires them to use a different Status Date for each project they manage?  And if so, what are they doing that mandates this?  Just curious.  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 18, 2020 5:26 PM