WHS compatible with Microsoft Security Essentials? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently reformatted my PC with Windows 7 x64 and decided to try out the new Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) for my AntiVirus. WHS reports a critical error that "Antivirus software is either not installed or is out of date".

Is MSE not compatible with WHS? Does anyone know of a work around (short of checking "ignore this issue")?

Thanks.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:38 PM

Answers

• I recently reformatted my PC with Windows 7 x64 and decided to try out the new Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) for my AntiVirus. WHS reports a critical error that "Antivirus software is either not installed or is out of date".

Is MSE not compatible with WHS? Does anyone know of a work around (short of checking "ignore this issue")?

Thanks.
    As far as I know, it should work.  Did you try rebooting the client?  I had the same issue recently when I installed avast! on my client (it took a reboot of my client to get it to realize my A/V was up-to-date).
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 12:31 AM

All replies

Thanks.
    As far as I know, it should work.  Did you try rebooting the client?  I had the same issue recently when I installed avast! on my client (it took a reboot of my client to get it to realize my A/V was up-to-date).
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 12:31 AM
  • Yea.. rebooted a couple times since loading it. Also verified that MSE reports that its up to date.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 12:38 AM
  • Yea.. rebooted a couple times since loading it. Also verified that MSE reports that its up to date.
    Does Win 7 show it as up-to-date (any warnings in the Action Center)?
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 12:40 AM
  • I'm using MSE with Win7 x64 and WHS does not report that antivirus is missing.
    http://www.wwiivehicles.com
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 12:40 AM
  • Re-installed and alls working as it should

Thanks all! *Update* False alarm. Error came back shortly after the reinstall.
    • Marked as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, October 18, 2009 2:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by timofcourse Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:57 PM
    • Edited by timofcourse Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:59 PM
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 1:22 AM
  • I have the exact same problen on two Win 7 x64 systems, but nothing seems to correct the problem, even after installing PP3.  I've un-installed and re-installed MSE several times, and rebooted the clients as well to no avail.  Does anyone have any other reccomendations?

Regards,

Dean
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:14 PM
  • I have the exact same problen on two Win 7 x64 systems, but nothing seems to correct the problem, even after installing PP3.  I've un-installed and re-installed MSE several times, and rebooted the clients as well to no avail.  Does anyone have any other reccomendations?

Regards,

Dean
    I still have this issue as well. The error came back later the same day I made my last post above saying it worked but just never bothered to come back to report it wasn't as I figured it was an issue on my end. I suppose it's good o hear I'm not the only one and woul also love to find a fix so I stop getting these messages.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:56 PM
  • FWIW I have Win7x64 with MSE running just fine.  I get a security warning from WHS, but it is about the Virus Scanning on WHS itself not being up to date.  I assume you're reading the message correctly...?

MSE cannot be installed on WHS afaik, btw.
    Dan Holme, Intelliem
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:08 PM
  • FWIW I have Win7x64 with MSE running just fine.  I get a security warning from WHS, but it is about the Virus Scanning on WHS itself not being up to date.  I assume you're reading the message correctly...?

Dan Holme, Intelliem
    MSE does work fine and the program itself, along with Windows Security Center both report that the AntiVirus is up to date. WHS always has a critical error that reports:

Title: Check your antivirus software status
    Message: Antivirus software is either not installed or is out of date on HOSTNAME

Where HOSTNAME is the hostname of my laptop that I have MSE installed.

I should also mention I have a Win7 x64 desktop on my network as well with MSE installed on it and WHS hasnt made a peep about that one. No idea why WHS doesnt report issues on that one, but continues to do so on my laptop.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:51 PM

Dan Holme, Intelliem

Yes, WHS is telling me that I have anti-virus turned off on the clients.  The funny thing is that when I click on the alert baloon, the WHS connector app opens and the icon turns green and everything is as it should be.  Then I just close the connector app.

Regards,

Dean
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:15 PM
  • I have same problem.  Upgraded my VISTAx64 to W7 Ultimate x64 and then added MSE.  MSE worked fine for a couple of weeks but now WHSA always shows MSE with that out-of-date or missing error.  MSE the W7 machine is quite happy though.  For now I am ignoring the error, but you think that MS could have its own software work compatibly.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 3:28 PM
  • I have the same problem Windows 7 x64.  WHS tells me antivirus is out of date when I first boot up but then the error goes away, with up to date MSE installed and running.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Same here.  I think WHS checks the AV status before the OS completes loading?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:16 AM
  • Same here.  I think WHS checks the AV status before the OS completes loading?
    Correct, only it's Windows that checks and reports the AV status to Windows Home Server when asked.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:43 PM
  • Is there anyway to fix this? Every time I reboot my Win7 machine, I get this warning. It is to the point that I uninstalled Remote Notifcation so I would stop getting the text messages! I realize that MS tried to make Win7 safer, but at least wait until the OS is finished booting before crying wolf.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Things you can try (note that this is unsupported):
    • On the PC that's having the issue, set the Microsoft Security Essentials service from "Automatic (delayed)" startup to "Automatic". If that doesn't work, ...
    • Also set the security center service from "Automatic (delayed)" to "Automatic".
    Note: this will increase the time it takes your computer to become responsive after booting by a small (but probably noticeable) amount.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:21 PM