Multiple front-ends (AccessProxy/CWA; CAS/OWA; SharePoint WFE) RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to install either (or both) the Access Proxy or Communicator Web Access roles on a server running either Exchange Client Access Server/Outlook Web Access, or SharePoint Web Front End? 

It is far easier for us to scale vertically than horizontally.

Many thanks,

Monday, December 3, 2007 1:44 PM

All replies

• Luke,

When you say Access Proxy are you talking about an LCS deployment?  Assuming you are asking about OCS, the Access Edge Server should be installed on a server which is NOT a domain member and is located in a perimeter network, which would not be an Exchange 2007 CAS.

Monday, December 3, 2007 5:09 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Jeff.

I think I've managed to get myself confused!  I thought I meant Access Proxy but I was talking about OCS... 

To clarify then:

Is it possible to install the OCS Access Edge Server role on the same server as an Exchange Edge Server?

Is it possible to install the OCS Communicator Web Access on the same server as an Exchange Client Access Server?

Is it possible to install the OCS Communicator Web Access on the same server as a SharePoint Web Front End?

Thanks again for your assistance,
    Monday, December 3, 2007 5:45 PM
  • The recent OCS Support guide should be referenced as it has a supported colocation section.  The guide is explicitly targeted at colocation of OCS roles so for your questions above about colocation with Exchange they would not be supported.

Communicator Web Access (CWA) would be supported on an OCS Front-End server.

Please recognize that a supported topology means that it has been explicitly tested and would be supported and fixed if any issues were to come up.

My team is aware of customers requesting the reduction of physical servers and the need to colocate roles and we are working with the responsible teams to work on this both by the use of virtualization and product changes. As a general rule because these are enterprise applications you won't likely find support for colocation of different products (OCS and Exchange).

If by chance you are part of a premier organization you can have your account manager enter a design change request on your behalf.

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:54 PM
  •  

Thanks Tom. 

I found the guide I believe you are referring to: Office Communications Server 2007 Document: Supportability Guide

You said in your post that Communicator Web Access (CWA) would be supported on an OCS Front-End server but the guide seems to suggest that this might not be supported as it makes a distinction between CWA and CWA Manager:

Server Role:  Microsoft Office Communicator Web Access (2007 Release) server

Supported for collocation: Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 administrative tools.

Server Role:  Microsoft Office Communicator Web Access Manager (2007 Release)

Supported for collocation: Office Communications Server 2007 Front End Server.  Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 administrative tools.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 11:10 PM
  • Although both the OCS 2007 Support Document and recently released OCS RES KIT book both say Collocating CWA on a Front-End Server is supported, it turns out that it is NOT supported according to Microsoft.  The CWA PlanDeploy Doc correctly captures this on page 11.  I've raised the descrepancies with Microsoft to correct.

Thanks

Dino

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Thanks for validating that Dino. I was confused in thumbing through the Resource Kit book as well where I noticed it said  CWA collocation on a FE server is possible. Glad to know I don't need to test it out to verify.
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:17 PM