none
Anyone Using a Drobo Pro Yet RRS feed

• Question

• Just curious if anyone has attached a Drobo Pro to a WHS box and if so  - how goes it?
    WHS_retail version
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:53 PM

All replies

• I'm using one at home. Only populated 4x750GB connected to my Vista Ultimate notebook (An IBM R60e) via the USB. I used to back up all my family's digital assets, mainly photos. Works like a charm! Btw, I'm not familiar w/ WHS. What's that?
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 3:12 AM
  • WHS. What's that?
    W indows H ome S erver.  Should be pretty obvious, what with this being the Windows Home Server forum and all.

I'm glad you've found a part-time job spamming forums for Data Robotics, but you could at least try to look legit.
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 9:38 AM
  • Trying is a good term.... seems to work okay attached via usb (have to see if I have fw on this box).... iscsi is another matter, could get the device detected and it could create a volume in windows fine, but whs console could not see it...
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:04 AM
  • Short version…..…..

DroboPro via iSCSI on WHS works!  Let me qualify by saying I’ve only run it for two days and did have one issue on day 2.

Long version……..

Unsatisfied with the reliability of sharing the iSCSI DroboPro via Vista, I decided to give WHS a try.  Good opportunity to upgrade my office computer, so I took an old Dell Dimension 5300 the kids were using and configured WHS and the server storage pool with a number of SATA, ATA, and USB drives I removed from machines around the house (they were no longer needed with WHS and a DroboPro in place). 

WHS comment: It’s as easy as everyone said it would be.  Never busted open a user or installation manual….. my definition of easy.  Best $100.00 worth of software I’ve ever purchased.

WHS configured and stable, last task on the list, move the DroboPro.  The procedure was very straight forward.  I plugged in the Ethernet cord from the DroboPro iSCSI port into a Gigabit port on the Dell and then installed the latest version (1.5.1) of the Drobo dashboard installer.  It sensed that WHS was not running the iSCSI initiator so it took me to the appropriate Microsoft support/download page.  After the initiator install, I restarted the dashboard installer and it did its thing and connected to DroboPro.

As others have pointed out, WHS will not allow a disk connected via iSCSI to be part of the WHS storage pool.  This is fine with me.  I wanted a reliable share scenario for my home movie and picture collection that the VISTA SP2 machine was not providing.  I also did not want to copy 4TB of data somewhere and then bring it back into the WHS pool.  Go elsewhere for the RAID on WHS discussion and Drobo debates.

Anyway, I went into the WHS Windows Explorer via Remote Console and low and behold, there sat the DroboPro 16TB volume.  Perfect !!  Just to be sure the volume would load automatically (Vista would not do it), I rebooted the server and it loaded the service just the way I hoped it would.  Next thing to do was share the volume and grant privileges.  

Back to my workstation screen…… clicked on the Shared Folders desktop ICON…. there sits the DroboPro share on WHS!!!!  You have a happy camper here. 

Only problem so far….. day 2 (today)…. the share was visible, but empty in the view from my workstation.  In a bit of a panic I opened Remote Desktop and looked at the volume directly with Windows Explorer.  No worries, all the folders and data was there.  I decided to remove and reshare the volume and noticed it had an administrative share (F$) assigned as well as the share I had setup. I attempted to delete it and was warned that it would be reinstalled upon restart.  I decided to just reboot the server to see if that remedied the problem.  It did.  Hopefully this will not be a recurring event.  I’ll post again if it is.

Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:08 PM
  • Thank you for the great post. Given Microsoft is still undecided in Drive Extendder I was looking at storage options for my current WHS box. Option 1 : A ____ 4224 case and areca 1300is-16 controller Pro 24 : Supports 24 Drives and cost about $1000 with all cables Caon : raid options in Veil unknown Option 2 : Drobo Pro Pro : very reliable storage and no issues adding / changing drives and shoudl upport Veil Con $1400 and only 8 drives Thanks so much for the detail on the install
    WHS_retail version
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:21 PM
  • DroboPro WHS

Any issues with your shares on the drobo vanishing on reboot?  One user said that iscsi did not initiate fast enough and he has to re-create his shares each time he reboots WHS

WHS_retail version
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Hey Max,

I can confirm that this is an issue with wh2 v1.   I did not have this issue on just regular windows 2k8r2 so hopefully should be the same with the next version of vail as well.... cant remember if this was an issue or not with previous vail beta, sorry.

Monday, January 24, 2011 5:34 AM