Is this Genuine Advantage genuine? RRS feed

• Question

• I have owned two PCs in the last five years. Both were purchased with Windows XP pre-installed and both operated perfectly well for over a year with automatic updates installed whenever issued. At a certain point in the life of each PC I had the Windows Genuine Advantage error notification that my copy of Windows was not genuine. In each case I felt that I had no option but to pay Microsoft again to install the 'genuine' software.

In the case of the second pc, I took the opportunity to upgrade to Windows Vista, bought directly from Microsoft. It was therefore much to my surprise after the latest automatic update on Wednesday to get the dreaded error message again. I ask myself, how can this copy not be genuine as it was supplied by Microsoft.

So my question is, Is thie Genuine Advantage program genuine? Or, as I suspect, is it a way for Microsoft to boost it dwindling revenue by over charging its customers? 
    Friday, January 22, 2010 10:18 AM

Answers

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post, along with your question.

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:41 PM
    Friday, January 22, 2010 9:28 PM

All replies

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post, along with your question.

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:41 PM
    Friday, January 22, 2010 9:28 PM
  • No reply from original poster

Closing thread as Answered.

Darin MS

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:41 PM