Slow file transfer from windows 7 machine to WHS but fast transfer from WHS to windows 7 machine RRS feed

• Question

• Strange problem, when I copy a file to a WHS share using Teracopy, my transfer rate tops out about 4.5Mb/sec.  However, when I transfer a file from WHS to the Windows 7 machine, I get around 5MB/sec.  Yes that is MB vs Mb.

I am on a wired 100Mb lan.  I cannot figure out why the transfer rate from WHS->windows 7 (5MB/sec) is so much faster than from windows 7->WHS (4.5Mb/sec).

I have updated the NIC driver on the WHS machine, tried changing the transmit and receive buffer sizes on both machines, disabled the remote differential compression setting on the windows 7 machine - all with no luck.

I am copying files to/from the share, ie \\media\pictures.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 5:22 PM

All replies

• Well it is not so much faster (only 10% difference could even be the measuring tolerance for such stuff).

The difference can have many reasons, to name a few:
    - drivers of the network adapter
    - lower quality wire/connection to wire contact in one of the cables/switches/NICs involved in the transfer and related to the sending connection
    - software running on the client (i.e. virus scanner)
    - how did you measure - with software or a real clock?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:56 PM
  • 4.5Mb vs 5MB is a huge difference.  I am talking Mb vs MB. 

I tried disabling virus scan.  I am using the windows 7 gadget to measure transfer rates.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Which security suite do you have installed? If it is a product with it's own firewall, try to uninstall it at least temporary for some testing, I have seen people reporting similar speed issues with the McAfee suite installed a few years ago in context with Vista.

But it may also be the network adapter or driver - on my mainboard I have two NICs (Realtek and Marvell Yukon ), the later slowed down after a while of usage the same way as you describe. The only method which worked for me was changing the network cable from one to the other network adapter (that was with Vista, after installing Win 7 I never switched back).

*Edit* just tested, and with Windows 7 it works. Since cable and other involved hardware never changed, it must have been an issue with the client OS or its drivers at that time.

In another thread I have seen a person fixing network performance issues by disabling Jumbo frames.

Olaf

Monday, May 24, 2010 9:59 AM
  • I am running Microsoft Security Essentials on the Windows 7 machine.  I have tried updating the NIC drivers on both the WHS machine and the win7 machine.

What I canot understand is why the transfer rate would different dramatically from win7->WHS and WHS->win7. 

IF there were a problem with the drivers, security suite, hardware or cabling, wouldn't the transfer rates be the same regardless of the direction of traffic?  I need to understand why win7->WHS is so much slower than WHS->win7.

Monday, May 24, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Tell us a bit about the disk configuration on your server...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 24, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Also try to upgrade the firmware of your router and use different network connections to the router.

Olaf

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:08 AM
  • with Windows Explorer and XCOPY I get about 30 to 40 MB/s both ways on Gigabit connection (i.e., I would not even notice a file transfer is the file is less than, say, 50MB).

if the WHS is acting slow to receiving files I would first do some HDD test on the drives to exclude variables; also there could be a diffference if you initiate the transfer from Windows7 or if you initiate transfer from the WHS.

last but not least, if you are low on disk space on the WHS, if you have "duplicate share folder" turned on, an anti-virus program installed on your Windows Homer Server, and what not; those all can contribute to sluggishness; so run Task Manager on WHS and monitor CPU and Memory and Network utilization...

Hope this helps.

*jm*

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:21 AM