WHS RIP-How much Support is left? RRS feed

• Question

• Although the demise of WHS is official, it is not instantaneous or is it?

I am wondering if:

1) Will Microsoft continue to work on and release the Update Rollup 3? and support other issues as they arise and for how long really?

2) Will the "xxx.homeserver.com" website continue to be available and supported? It's plenty for what I need.

I don't plan to retire my WHS 2011 any time soon because it works great and when I do, I'm sure there will be other options under $425(well maybe). The Server 2008 R2 code will be around for a while so I would like to think that WHS2011 will be included.

Thank You

Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:13 PM

All replies

• All Microsoft has said is in the FAQ:

Q: How long will customers be able to purchase Windows Home Server 2011?
    A: Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard will remain available as an OEM embedded product until December 31, 2025, and will remain available in all other current channels until December 31, 2013.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:06 PM
  • Thanks Phil,

Those statements are what created my concern and it is Microsoft's biggest problem;PR! Anyone that has been in a customer service position regardless of industry knows that advising your customer is so very important. Whether it's a good or bad scenario, if you provide as much information as you can you can and act like you care, you might avoid a lot of anger. It doesn't take rocket science to know that even a small group of users (WHS users) are very dedicated to their product (the server) and when you just casually yank it out from underneath them, they will get pissed. Where is the statement that MS is committed to supporting customers who use their products old or new. An EOL date doesn't make me warm and fuzzy inside.

Certainly computer technology moves at an extremely fast pace and changes like these are imminent. Everything I have read in the last week is absolute rage and a commitment to go else where. IMO it is due to the lack of good PR. Oh wait, that was one of the problems with the introduction to WHS, oh well.

I would like to stay for a while so anyone from Microsoft care to field my questions??? (the ones above)

• Edited by mikmock Friday, July 13, 2012 5:03 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 4:49 PM