Public Folders? RRS feed

• Question

• Why does Live Mesh not have the ability to allow users to choose to share folders with the public?
    ie. as in a public folder, viewable by all/no need for adding contacts etc....

Is this coming?

If Live Mesh includes that ability, I will no longer have a need for SkyDrive as this service does everything
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 11:25 AM

Answers

•  Hi HTPCnz,

Thank you for the suggestion.  As Steve mentioned above, the Wish List is the perfect place for this suggestion, so thank you also for adding it there.  That will help us keep track of how often this feature is requested.  :)

Ben.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 1:28 AM

All replies

• Without being rude, did you even read my post, properly?

I know of SkyDrive as my post points out, currently use it...the question was, is this service going to allow folder to be made public like SkyDrive, because if it does, then this service does everything SkyDrive does and I will no longer need to use it.

I see no reason why this service shouldn't
    Monday, May 26, 2008 1:59 AM
  • Patience young padawan. :-) It's a three day weekend (at least in the US) and the mesh team is probably off. The rest of us are just users that like this product as much as you do. This is a Tech Preview which comes before even a beta. Anything is game. Anything we suggest will probably be considered.

I believe that public folders has been suggested. I'm not sure how that would work or where they would be listed, but I would look through the stickey wish thread and suggest it there. If it is there, it will add a vote, if not, then others will see it and be able to add thier vote.

Steve
    Steve
    Monday, May 26, 2008 4:27 PM
  • This is the feature that keeps me using Live Mesh and Dropbox at the same time. With Dropbox you can put files into a Public folder and then copy a public url (per file) to your clipboard to give out.
    Monday, May 26, 2008 6:07 PM
  • My second post can be ignored...(if that makes me look impateint)

Another guy posted a respose suggesting SkyDrive instead, obviously not reading my post in full, then later deleted his post

I have suggested this feature in the wish list, and its implementation would be simular to that of SkyDrive I would think...
    I'm guessing the best place for it to be listed would either be the profile page, or/and have public folders display in spaces (as SkyDrive currently does)
    Monday, May 26, 2008 11:08 PM
  •  Hi HTPCnz,

Thank you for the suggestion.  As Steve mentioned above, the Wish List is the perfect place for this suggestion, so thank you also for adding it there.  That will help us keep track of how often this feature is requested.  :)

Ben.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 1:28 AM
  •  
    HTPCnz said:

My second post can be ignored...(if that makes me look impateint)

Another guy posted a respose suggesting SkyDrive instead, obviously not reading my post in full, then later deleted his post

I have suggested this feature in the wish list, and its implementation would be simular to that of SkyDrive I would think...
    I'm guessing the best place for it to be listed would either be the profile page, or/and have public folders display in spaces (as SkyDrive currently does)

That makes sense, I only saw the two posts, so forgive me for jumping to conclusions. :-)

Eventually I would like to see Mesh, skydrive, MS folder sharing, MS photo sharing and other non-MS sharing sites somehow working together.

Steve
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:38 AM
  • With the recent update, I saw no new features, more just bug fixes...

Any word on any coming new features, in particular public folders?
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:27 AM
  • Hi,

While we are unable to say exactly if/when any particular feature request will be made available, we are keeping track of all the suggestions we've received and prioritizing those along with bug fixes.  One of the biggest feature requests made available in the most recent update was the removal of the UAC requirement when using Live Mesh in Vista.  We're constantly working to improve Live Mesh, so keep your eyes open for future updates.  :)

Ben.
    Monday, June 23, 2008 5:44 PM
  • I think the mention of Skydrive is very relevant. Live Mesh is all about a person. Me. Its MY stuff. On the other hand I think that Skydrive is the perfect vehicle for sharing stuff with the public. So with those things in mind I would like to see my public Skydrive space exist as a "virtual" device. Any part of my Mesh that gets synchronised to that virtual device appears on Skydrive, with a URL, just as it normally would.

So, "yes" to public folders in Mesh and "yes" to doing it using Skydrive (but managed using Mesh).

Thanks
    -Jamie

http://jamiethomson.spaces.live.com/ | http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson
    Monday, June 23, 2008 6:53 PM