none
Credentials always fail when submitting job from client machine using SOA. Why? RRS feed

• Question

• As the title suggests, any credentials I use when submitting a job fail.

What I've done:

HPC and client machine are on separate domains.

Not sure it matters but client machine is an IIS server that will be using HPC to offload computations.

On the HPC head node I ran: cluscfg setcreds /user:hpcdomain\username /password:p@ssword

That username is registered as a Managed Service Account in the Active Directory on the HPC domain.

On client machine I have setup a Windows Credential between it and the HPC Head Node using the same username and password.

Client machine attempts to open a session and close it using the code below:

SessionStartInfo info = new SessionStartInfo(scheduler, serviceName);
    info.ResourceUnitType = JobUnitType.Node;

info.Username = @"username";
    info.Password = @"p@ssword";

info.MinimumUnits = 1;
    info.MaximumUnits = 4;

Session.SetInterfaceMode(false, (System.IntPtr)0);
    Session session = Session.CreateSession(info);

session.Close();

Because of SetInterfaceMode the login box appears. However, when I enter the correct credentials it always acts as if the username or password is unrecognized. After three 'failed' attempts I get the following message from my test app: "Exception: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password"

When I run my test app on the head node itself under the same user it works flawlessly.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:05 PM

All replies

• Roach,

Can you please check whether you are passing the user id with domain name...(domainname\userid)

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:39 AM
  • From my experience offloading machine (in your case client) and head node must belong to the same domain.The authentication (ie. do you have permission to run "job submit") is performed by head node and additionally the user must be HPC domain user (must be registered in AD).

Usually HPC configuration is a bit different than yours.There is client (out of HPC domain),offloading server (part of HPC domain) and job dispatching head node (part of HPC domain).Here the server and the head node belong to the same domain thus you have permission to perform "job submit your_task.exe" .However you need to register user at least once with head node.

I don't think you may successffully execute "job submit" on your IIS server machine if it is on different domain.

Daniel Drypczewski

Friday, September 14, 2012 2:23 AM