Update "Created By" and "Modified By" fields after data import RRS feed

• Question

• I am performing an import of data from an Oracle CRM. During the import the "Created By" and "Modified By" fields are unavailable. What would anyone recommend as to the method of updating these two fields after the import has completed. I planned to import the Oracle data into place holder fields in the hopes I could perform a simple update type of statement with SQL Server or some type of BIDS package. Before I went down a path for too long I wanted to check and see if anyone has ever done this or something similar to this and get their experiences on what they did. Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:12 PM

Answers

• Sorry - misread...

But I think essentially the same applies, these are read only fields after creation so going to the database directly might be your only option (unsupported).

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Jason's correct: the Created On and By and Modified On and By fields are system fields maintained by the CRM platform. There is no supported method for updating them, even during an import. The only supported technique is to populate the Overriddencreatedon field with what ever date you like. The system will use this value instead of the Created On date value in the UI.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:47 PM

All replies

• Generally during the import instead is setting the "createdon" field, you set the "overriddencreatedon" field. This allows the real "Created On" field to be set during an import (only works during record creation.  I don't believe there is a supported way to override the "Modified On" short of tracking it in your own custom field. 

Jason Lattimer

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:20 PM
  • I can import the correct date into the "Created On" field and I'm not too concerned about the "Modified On" field. The two I am concerned about are the "Created By" and "Modified By" fields. These two fields are being populated with data based on the current user performing the import. So my user account is tied as the account who created all the records when it didn't actually create a single one. I have created a couple of place holder fields that I am importing the information on the actual user that created and last updated the record. I was looking for a any advice on what method to use to update those fields.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Sorry - misread...

But I think essentially the same applies, these are read only fields after creation so going to the database directly might be your only option (unsupported).

Jason Lattimer

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Jason's correct: the Created On and By and Modified On and By fields are system fields maintained by the CRM platform. There is no supported method for updating them, even during an import. The only supported technique is to populate the Overriddencreatedon field with what ever date you like. The system will use this value instead of the Created On date value in the UI.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:47 PM