Since power pack 1 ????????????????? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed power pack 1 and since then the hard drive has not stoped writting. It goes continously 24 hours a day.

I turned it off restared it and it still wont stop.

Why?????

Friday, June 13, 2008 6:56 PM

All replies

•  annetrans wrote:

I installed power pack 1 and since then the hard drive has not stoped writting. It goes continously 24 hours a day.

I turned it off restared it and it still wont stop.

Why?????

How long have you had it on before rebooting/shutting down?  PP1 changes the way DE works and it might take some time for it to go through the entire migration process before it settles down.

Friday, June 13, 2008 11:21 PM
  • This is due to the Windows Desktop Search indexing your shares. I had the same problem after installing PP1 and the process takes forever, especially if your shares contain many items. For some reason, the indexing runs at the slowest speed as indicated when you roll the mouse over the search icon in the task bar notification area, but this is ridiculously painful!

To speed up the indexing, right-click on the search icon and click on "Indexing Status". Click on "Index Now" and indexing will run at full speed. By default, Windows Desktop Search indexes both "Documents and Settings" and "Shares". I don't use Desktop Search, so I removed "Shares" from indexing and basically grinded hard drive activity to a halt! To do so, right-click on the search icon and click on "Windows Desktop Search Options...". Click on "Modify", expand the "DATA (DSmile" branch and deselect the "shares" folder. Click "OK" to save the changes. Windows Desktop Search will quickly "reindex" based on your selected settings and you will no longer have to deal with the incessant hard disk writes, until the next demigration pass that is. :-)
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 2:24 AM
  • Aborro, you shoulds turn desktop search back on. It's used by Windows Home Server in a couple of ways. First, the search feature in the Remote Access web site uses it. Second, the search box in the Vista version of Windows Explorer can use it to search your server. You can see this by opening up Explorer, navigating to one of your shares, and typing in the search box. It's not as fast as a local search, but it's a lot faster than scanning files. Smile
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 4:09 AM
  • Seems to have indexed down to about 70 or so but it ha sbeen on that much for 24 hours now

Saturday, June 14, 2008 9:39 PM
  • It sucks that we cannot paste hyperlinks(why is that?) but I started a thread on the same subject (title is:wmccds.exe constantly running since install in this forum) and I have submitted a big report on Connect. For now, I have turned off media sharing (from the console) and windows search service (remote desktop-mycomputer-manage-services-turn off and disable windows search) until this issue is resolved since having disks active 24/7 is not necessarily good for them. I will post results as I get them from MS in that thread.

EDIT: URL for my thread http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3474474&SiteID=50

Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:46 PM
  • Umm, you can link; I do it all the time. You select the text, then click on the little globe-and-chain button on the editing toolbar. For example, here's a link to that thread you mentioned...
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:04 PM
  • Weird the linko button is greyed out for me, but when I click the HtmlView tab at the bottom and then back to TextView, the icon can be clicked. I will edit my post with the proper links.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 10:26 PM