emachine RRS feed

• Question

• downloaded and burned a copy of whs. tried it on an older dell. the software ran, and said the hard drive wasn't big enough. Wanted to add a couple of sata drives, but the dell didn't support sata. thought about adding a sata controller. I was at best buy looking at drives and saw a really cheap emachines computer and thought that might make a good server since the requirements seemed to be low from what I have read. It had a large enough hard drive for the OS and two additional sata connectors for expansion drives. Set the bios F2 and F10 settings to boot from rom drive, but It continues to skip to the vista operating system. I am trying to boot from a dvd. Has anyone had any luck converting an emachine to a home server? Or, have any suggestions for getting it to boot from the dvd? Should I try and take it back to best buy?

Thanks
    Monday, May 25, 2009 3:43 AM

Answers

• Didn't know that about the recovery CDs. last computer was a Dell about 2 years ago.

The emachine does have a DVD drive.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by azperkins Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by azperkins Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by azperkins Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:17 AM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 3:00 PM

All replies

• Can the DVD drive boot from another bootable DVD (i.e. Vista)?
    You didn't miss the short moment, in which the message to press any key to boot from DVD is shown?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, May 25, 2009 8:02 AM
  • Thank you, Olaf
    During start up, it says something about booting from cd, but nothing about pressing a key like on other computers I have had. Pressing the space bar at this point goes to a screen that asks which operating system I would like to boot from, and vista is the only option. The only other function on this screen is for a memory test.  This computer did not come with any cds. Thought that was odd. Not sure what you do when it crashes. Tried the os disc from my other computer, and it skipped over that. Don't think it is my WHS dvd, as it tried to run on the older dell (hard drive was too small). I think the emachine is going back to the store. I'll look for a bare bones system to build on.

Monday, May 25, 2009 8:50 AM
  • Thank you, Olaf
    During start up, it says something about booting from cd, but nothing about pressing a key like on other computers I have had. Pressing the space bar at this point goes to a screen that asks which operating system I would like to boot from, and vista is the only option. The only other function on this screen is for a memory test.  This computer did not come with any cds. Thought that was odd.

Apparently you haven't purchased a pre-built PC in the last few years. :)  To the best of my knowledge, none of the major manufacturers include CDs/DVDs any more (I know for a fact that Acer and emachines don't because I've recently set up those PCs for other users).  You must now burn your own recovery media (or order them through their websites, in which case they charge you for them).

Not sure what you do when it crashes. Tried the os disc from my other computer, and it skipped over that. Don't think it is my WHS dvd, as it tried to run on the older dell (hard drive was too small). I think the emachine is going back to the store. I'll look for a bare bones system to build on.
    Any chance the optical drive in the emachine was only a CD drive?  (I wouldn't think any PC would come like that nowadays, but you never know.)
    Monday, May 25, 2009 1:40 PM
  • Didn't know that about the recovery CDs. last computer was a Dell about 2 years ago.

The emachine does have a DVD drive.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by azperkins Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by azperkins Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by azperkins Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:17 AM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 3:00 PM