Vista to WHS speed RRS feed

• Question

• I have read as many posts as I can regards to WHS speed transfer issues, but none seem to answer my question. My network speeds are OK, but are substantially slower with Vista/WHS than they are Vista/Vista, especially with large files like recorded TV. When sending files from Vista to WHS, the transfers are extremely fast (135MB/s) for the first 2GB - (the amount of ram in the server), then fall right away to around 50 - 60MB/s for the rest of the transfer. With Vista to Vista, the transfer is at around max HDD speed for the entire transfer (app 103MB/s). 
    I have all duplication turned off in WHS as well as De-Migrator disabled in the registry as I detest the constant needless disk activity and always back up externally.
    Reads are consistent mid 70MB/s from WHS, consistent 103MB/s from Vista.
    Any ideas or is this a fixed limitation of Server 2003?
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:39 AM

All replies

• I have read as many posts as I can regards to WHS speed transfer issues, but none seem to answer my question. My network speeds are OK, but are substantially slower with Vista/WHS than they are Vista/Vista, especially with large files like recorded TV. When sending files from Vista to WHS, the transfers are extremely fast (135MB/s) for the first 2GB - (the amount of ram in the server), then fall right away to around 50 - 60MB/s for the rest of the transfer. With Vista to Vista, the transfer is at around max HDD speed for the entire transfer (app 103MB/s). 
    I have all duplication turned off in WHS as well as De-Migrator disabled in the registry as I detest the constant needless disk activity and always back up externally.

I'm sure you know this, but disabling DE is unsupported.  What are the transfer speeds like if you re-enable it?  How are you copying files to the server (through the network shares or some other method)?  What program are you using to copy (Windows Explorer or something else)?
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:02 AM

Are the drives in the server as fast and as new as the drives in the Vista machines? Is the NIC in the server the same as the NICs in the Vista machines?  Does the server have enough RAM?
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:32 AM
  • kariya21 & lara, Thanks for the replies

Some further information.

Client is Gigabyte EP45-UD3P board, 4GB Ram, Q6600CPU. DATA drive is 2 x 320GB 7200rpm Seagates in RAID 0. NIC = Realtek 8111C (1 x only not teamed).

WHS is Intel DP45-FC Mini ITX, 2GB ram, dual core Pentium 2.5Ghz. 320GB 7200rpm system drive, 2 x WD Green (5400rpm??) 1TB drives in the POOL, 1 x Seagate 1TB 7200rpm drive non-pool mapped to C:\Shares\Applications folder. The NIC in the WHS machine is Intel 82567LF Pro Gigabit. Same machine used for testing WHS as well as Vista Business as a "Server".

In regard to the WHS environment, DE-Migrator is not disabled as a service, and is still running. It has been "switched off" via the Extender section of the registry and is easily switched back on. However, when running this only serves to slow performance further as there is a needless hourly flurry of disk I/O and I don't have duplicates or any need for the DE-Migrator. 
    Explorer is used to copy files, it's a clean install of integrated Vista SP2 and should not have issues. Robocopy makes no difference, TCP autotune makes no difference,  mappig shares makes no difference. Writing and reading to the WD "Green" drives is of course slower than to the non pooled 7200rpm Seagate drive.

Writing to the Seagate drive a 17.8GB Mpeg TV recording takes 5 minutes 50 secs on WHS, 2 minutes 47 seconds with Vista Business as a "Server". So, WHS is not slow, just much slower than Vista??

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:28 AM
  • Vista rewrote a whole lot of the network connectivity for better performance. Since WHS is built on older Server 2003, it does not have these changes. I don't think you'll see any changes until WHSv2 (based on Win 7 code hopefully)
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:11 PM
  • Vista rewrote a whole lot of the network connectivity for better performance. Since WHS is built on older Server 2003, it does not have these changes. I don't think you'll see any changes until WHSv2 (based on Win 7 code hopefully)

Not touching the WHSv2 comment :) but you can also try updating the drivers on the Windows Home Server machine if the vendor has any available.  I'd check the storage and NIC drivers.
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:17 PM
  • Note: updating NIC drivers on a headless server (i.e. something like the HP MediaSmart Server line) is, umm, inadvisable unless the hardware manufacturer tells you to so, or a high priority driver update is released through Windows Update. It's not an issue in this case (it's home-built), but be careful. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:53 PM