SyncToy 2.0 - Echo from Vista to XP using UNC fails to report errors RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,


    I'm using SyncToy 2.0 BETA build 10/12/2007 to synchronise several folder pairs between a Vista 64bit desktop and XP laptop across a 100Mbps LAN connection.


    As suggested in the SyncToy 2.0 docs, I manually sync'd my folder structures (using Vista Robocopy) before using SyncToy. Ran SyncToy for the first time which detected no changes. I then made some changes on my Vista machine and echo'd them to my XP machine using a UNC path. When run, SyncToy reported that several changes were made on the source machine but the changes were not echo'd to the target machine. No errors in the log files at all.


    I then discovered it was a rights issue, or lack of on the target machine where I had only read rights. Two things concern me with SyncToy, firstly no errors were reported when the target machine could not be updated, and secondly after fixing the rights issue, running SyncToy again reported that both source and target were in sync and no changes were needed, when I can see the folders have different structures.


    Are these known issues and are they resolved in a later build?


    SyncToy looks promising but I know doubt it's ability to detect errors thus leaving my machines in different states.



    Thursday, May 8, 2008 10:35 AM

All replies

  • Hi,


    There are a few questions that I am hoping you can answer -


    1) Are you seeing this problem on all ( some ) of your folder pairs or just one of them?

    2) Were changes made to files spanning several folder pairs? What kind of changes did you make? File renames/updates/folder moves?

    3) Because you say you initially did a Robocopy - it must mean that you had write rights to the right hand side at some point? Did you mean that you changed them later?

    4) When you say you had only read rights on the target machine - did you mean read rights on some files or only read permission to the entire UNC path? What commands did you use to change these rights?

    5) Did you have the same credentials on both the boxes?


    Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. I have tried repro'ing these issues on our boxes from the information you shared on your original post and have not been sucessful so I am hoping that I will learn some new parameter that I am missing.


    Also, we recommend that you make sure that your folders are in sync when you are upgrading from SyncToy 1.4 to 2.0 Beta. I am not sure that this was your case ( because you say that you used Robocopy), otherwise it would have been best to just set up your folder pair with files on the Vista side and point to an empty directory on the XP side.


    If we are still unable to repro this based on your answers, we might ask if you can supply us with logs.




    Thursday, May 8, 2008 9:35 PM