none
very unclear site

Question

• I have only just started here, and already I am finding this site is really annoying.  First when you click the Feedback link, it only gives you one option: "Ask a question".  That is not "give feedback".  Then as soon as I started typing my "question", the screen filled up with loads of "we think we already know what you're halfway through typing" answers.  Every one of them was completely irrelevant (to quote: "Hyperlings with affiliates", "Change websites look", "Trial version of Expression Web 3 will not work", "Untitled page displayed", "Increase Indent"), so I had to go hunting for this field I am now typing in, and whose contents I will copy after typing and save in case the site bumps me off for some other irrelevancy.

Now to the actual feeback I came here to give.  On the tutorial pages, there are a number of videos, but these are not arranged so as to provide a sequence of tutorials in how to use Expression Web in an order of progressive difficulty. Instead they are arranged randomly under headings such as "Download from Silverlight" "Import from MS Word" and so on.  These may be very useful once you know how to use Expression Web, but they are not arranged in lesson order, which is what I want to learn Expression from the very get-go.  Even the line feed spacing in this field thinks it's cleverer than I am, and so adds gratuitous extra line feeds, such that even though I press Return only once, it looks as though I pressed it three times.  I want to have complete control over everything I do on a computer without it making up my mind for me, such that the 'timesaving' features, on by default have to be hunted for so as to be turned off.  These shortcuts may be very useful, but when they are on by default, and you don't want them, or understand what they're doing, they just add a great deal of confusion and annoyance to the busy person trying to get inside the program and make it work.

What I believe is needed for the Getting Started and Tutorial part is reorganisation along the following lines:

1. What is Expression Web? An introduction (I already found this, told me almost nothing)

2. Getting started:

3. Lesson 1 - setting up a new page

4. Lesson 2 - adding graphics etc

5. Lesson 3 - adding sound

6. Lesson 4 - external links

7. Lesson 5 - animation

These are just suggested topics, that could be in any order, but currently there is no "course" of lessons that would allow me to progress from complete beginner as I now am, into a moderately expert user.  I just don't know which video to click first.  They're not arranged in the kind of order someone wanting to learn how to use this software would be able to track.  As I obtained this product from Microsoft online, there is no printed manual either.

It wastes a ridiculous amount of time hunting for things that should be properly organised to begin with.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:12 PM

All replies

• what you can do is to “edit” your thread to exclude the issue with the forum and highlight the real issue at hand.

next, on top of your post there will be a button to change the type of the post.  you can select discussion if you want.

you might also want to post it into the forum for expression’s feedback.

not sure what the url is but in the newsreader it is:

Expression.en-US.feedback

--
    db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

"dwmusic" wrote in message news:2fa024b5-e636-4413-bbd0-e3981f19a6e3...

I have only just started here, and already I am finding this site is really annoying.  First when you click the Feedback link, it only gives you one option: "Ask a question".  That is not "give feedback".  Then as soon as I started typing my "question", the screen filled up with loads of "we think we already know what you're halfway through typing" answers.  Every one of them was completely irrelevant (to quote: "Hyperlings with affiliates", "Change websites look", "Trial version of Expression Web 3 will not work", "Untitled page displayed", "Increase Indent"), so I had to go hunting for this field I am now typing in, and whose contents I will copy after typing and save in case the site bumps me off for some other irrelevancy.

Now to the actual feeback I came here to give.  On the tutorial pages, there are a number of videos, but these are not arranged so as to provide a sequence of tutorials in how to use Expression Web in an order of progressive difficulty. Instead they are arranged randomly under headings such as "Download from Silverlight" "Import from MS Word" and so on.  These may be very useful once you know how to use Expression Web, but they are not arranged in lesson order, which is what I want to learn Expression from the very get-go.  Even the line feed spacing in this field thinks it's cleverer than I am, and so adds gratuitous extra line feeds, such that even though I press Return only once, it looks as though I pressed it three times.  I want to have complete control over everything I do on a computer without it making up my mind for me, such that the 'timesaving' features, on by default have to be hunted for so as to be turned off.  These shortcuts may be very useful, but when they are on by default, and you don't want them, or understand what they're doing, they just add a great deal of confusion and annoyance to the busy person trying to get inside the program and make it work.

What I believe is needed for the Getting Started and Tutorial part is reorganisation along the following lines:

1. What is Expression Web? An introduction (I already found this, told me almost nothing)

2. Getting started:

3. Lesson 1 - setting up a new page

4. Lesson 2 - adding graphics etc

5. Lesson 3 - adding sound

6. Lesson 4 - external links

7. Lesson 5 - animation

These are just suggested topics, that could be in any order, but currently there is no "course" of lessons that would allow me to progress from complete beginner as I now am, into a moderately expert user.  I just don't know which video to click first.  They're not arranged in the kind of order someone wanting to learn how to use this software would be able to track.  As I obtained this product from Microsoft online, there is no printed manual either.

It wastes a ridiculous amount of time hunting for things that should be properly organised to begin with.

db
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:18 PM
  • thats aton of links
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Agree with you, 1000+ forums is ridiculous ... it's only done to be a benefit for those "Supporting" these forums and NOT for those "Using" these forums.  Once again Microsoft has the Cart pulling the horse ... who knows, maybe some day Microsoft will realize how to produce something for the human race rather for their own benefit...I guess the Market is slowly but surely determining that ;)

Can't tell you how many times a post I create gets moved from forum to forum where one person will push the post to another forum and then the moderator in that forum will push it back to my original forum.  Talk about work avoidance!!

It's rare I find anything useful in MSDN forums, but I post here just in case ... about 5% of the time I get a good response from someone who knows how to communicate in my language (English).   Put most of the responses I get are one of the following:

1.  Why would you want to do that?
    2.  Wipe your PC and re-install everything.
    3.  It's can't do that, you'll need to re-write your application to do it the Microsoft way.

That about sums up the 95% of the responses.

Your frustration is how Microsoft present learning tools is VERY common.  My only suggestion is that you pay for a subscription to Lynda.com -- I pay about $37/mo but it has a LOT of really good training videos including samples to go along with ... 70% of my learning starts at Lynda.com.  They cover from beginner to expert.  Hope that helps.

Rob.

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:17 PM