code source control on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello-

I was wondering if anyone has seen a good source control solution what would play nicely with WHS.  I would like to store my codebases on WHS and maybe get versions from there and write code on a desktop or laptop.  Would it be possible to install VSS on WHS, or would you recommend another product?

Just as a side, SBS would have been a decent option for me, but it was overkill because I just needed the BU and file server capibilities.

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:25 PM

Answers

• At this time, it would be inadvisable to put a source control database on your WHS machine. In this knowledgebase article, Microsoft recommends against editing files directly on your server. You would be better off keeping it local to another PC on your network, letting it get backed up nightly.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:56 PM
  • I am using CVSNT (and WinCVS in the clients) for source control, but the files are located right on the D: drive and not in the shared folders. It works perfectly.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:00 PM

All replies

• At this time, it would be inadvisable to put a source control database on your WHS machine. In this knowledgebase article, Microsoft recommends against editing files directly on your server. You would be better off keeping it local to another PC on your network, letting it get backed up nightly.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:56 PM
  • I am using CVSNT (and WinCVS in the clients) for source control, but the files are located right on the D: drive and not in the shared folders. It works perfectly.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:00 PM
  • First off, I would wholeheartedly recommend another product besides VSS.  Check out Perforce.  It's awesome.  Another that is popular is Subversion.  I wouldn't wish VSS upon my worst enemy!  CVSNT was mentioned, another good choice, but not as full featured for advanced stream management as Perforce or Subversion.  But still way, WAY better than VSS!

Ken wrote:

"Microsoft recommends against editing files directly on your server."

I may be misundersanding things here, but none of the modern source control servers I've used work like this and thus the KB article wouldn't be relevant.  The server is typically what opens this file for read and write, and the client <> server protocol handles transfer of the file in both directions.  Network file handles are avoided like the plague because the file transfers are slow, and are resource hogs.  IIRC, even VSS worked this way, but I'm not 100% positive.  I know every other server I mentioned above works that way.

With that said, there are other good reasons why you may not want to manage a source control server on WHS.  For example, hosting it on your workstation and using backup may be a better overall solution than placing it in a duplicated folder.  Especially if your development workstation has RAID-1.  But if it does not, using D: and not the shared folders like Silverstrale would work great.

I have a Windows 2003 domain /file server here, and even I don't host Perforce on it.  I have it on my XP 64-bit workstation RAID1, which is in turn backed up to the file server.  The only way I would have put it on the 2003 server (or a WHS) is if I needed access from multiple PC's, or remotely.  I have neither need, so I did not.

So my call would be decide where you need access from.  If you need access from multiple PC's or remotely over the Internet, WHS would be a great place to put it.  You would install it directly to D: and use whatever form of backup you are currently using for your C:and D: on WHS (you do have a form of backup...right? ;-).

Either way, the important thing to realize is you won't need direct access to the files on the server.  You just need IP access to the appropriate port.  If you want access to your source control server over the Internet, simply open that port on your router wide-open, or port-forward it to your WHS IP (assuming you assigned it static IP).

Hope that helps.

- Ryan

Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:01 PM
  •  

I want to clarify what I stated in the previous post when I said:

"using D: and not the shared folders like Silverstrale would work great."

and

"You would install it directly to D: and use whatever form of backup you are currently using for your C:and D: on WHS"

If you really want to use a source control server on WHS, what I mean by this is be sure you do not install the SCS repository / database in the Shared Folders.  The reason being it is not a good idea for any process on the WHS server modifying the Shared Folders directly; all access should go through the Shared Folders network name.  You may not be able to control how the SCS server accesses these files to force it to go through the UNC, so unless you really know what you are doing, it would be best to avoid the Shared Folders, and install to a location such as D:\SourceControl or similar.  That way Drive Extender is 100% circumvented, and no worries.  And as I said, you will have to manage backups yourself.  WHS won't do it for you.

Another option would be to add a dedicated drive to the system for this (and other typs of apps), and when prompted, do not add it to the pool of disks used by the Drive Extender.  Then, by definition, you will be unable to add it to the Shared Folders.

Hope that is helps, and is clearer.

Ryan

Sunday, January 27, 2008 2:34 PM
  • My personal favorite is Sourcegear Vault which I've been running on WHS for a while without issue...
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 10:59 AM