The enterprise custom field display inconformity in PWA and Project professional RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I created a custom field named Point in PWA. Here its info: entity is Task, type is Number. Choose 'SUM' in the option of

Calculation for Summary Rows.

Other settings are just by default. I added the Point to a View. Then after I edit the data in Project Professional, the data is accurate.

Eg:

TaskName  Point

1. TaskOne  15

1.1 TaskOne.first  10

1.1.1  TaskOne.first.good  10

1.2 TaskOne.second 5

2. TaskTwo 20

So this is the alike structure. Now I came to an issue. When I edit the Point filed in Project Professional, I can see the right number data. After I publish them to the PWA, the number is incorrect.

It seems the high level Point hasn't added all its child Point value.

1. TaskOne  10

1.1 TaskOne.first  10

1.1.1  TaskOne.first.good  10

1.2 TaskOne.second 5

2. TaskTwo 20

I don't know why that happens, hope you can help me with it. Is there some special settings between PWA and project professional among the Enterprise data?

Thanks in advanced.

Email&YahooID: zhaodandut@yahoo.cn Skype: abcdedandan
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:53 AM

Answers

• I will try to report it as a bug...

As far as I can see, the summary values in MSP are NOT updatingcorrectly in respect with the changes on task level!

• Marked as answer by Vicky.Z Friday, December 30, 2011 11:36 AM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Thanks Brian - looks like we have several different issues here relating to the calculation of data in both Pro and PWA and also the publishing of the data from Pro.  I will enter bugs into our system - and at this stage they should get consideration for fixing in Service Pack 2 - but no guarantees they will get fixed.  If any of the posters to this thread work for organizations with Premier support contracts and would like to request an earlier fix then please open a support incident.

Best regards,

Brian

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Vicky,

I just reproduced the problem as descibed above. 

What I see:

1. In PWA, the changes on summary tasks never come through
    2. In MSP, the summary tasks do not recalculate automatically and not via explicit F9 (recalculate)
    3. I change a value on a task, than click on the value in the summary row, it changes... but only on the summary line I clicked on?!?
    4. When I close the project (after save and publish of cource) and re-open, the values on the tasks are as I entered them (and that's not guaranteed the same as in PWA), but the summary task contain the values I see in PWA (and they are wrong!).

In the picture below you see the situation after

• changing the number at task 2 from 5 to 6
    • click on summary 1
    • Publish
    • Refresh PWA

(Auto calculation is On; F9 did notdo the job)

This is really spooky!!!!

I hope we are both doing something wrong... 

Regards
    Wim 

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:36 PM
  • Hi Wim,

Sorry to see that you have the same problem. I confused here a lot. After trying serveral methods, I haven't figured out the reason of the issue yet. The data may be incorrect temporaryly beacuse I find the issue dismisses soundlessly. I just leave the issue alone and do the operations: modify and save, pulish the project as usual.

Ha-ha! Sometimes everyone can be a lucky bird.

Seriously, since the issue can be reproduced easily, I still think there should be a reason. Let me know, if you have other info to share.

Thanks,

Vicky

Email&YahooID: zhaodandut@yahoo.cn Skype: abcdedandan
    • Edited by Vicky.Z Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:35 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Hi Vicky,

For me, it looks like a bug! It is not OK in a modern GUI that I have to click on an affected summary (field) to trigger the recalculation. In addition, there seems to be no "update"-functionality available to update those data on summary level from MSP to the Server.

Yesterday I only changed data via MSP. Now I tried the same scenario's via PWA! (all changes were applied on row 4 in the picture above)

Some additional constatations:

• When changing the value on row 4, the summaries didn't recalculate... even not by using the Calculate button in the ribbon.
    • After saving the changes, and applying a refresh (F5), the changes became visible on the summary rows
    • After publishing the saved changes, the changes became visible in MSP (as you would expect)

Conclusion

• Changes on custom enterprise number fields (with rollup set) on tasks in MSP do not roll up correctly to the corresponding summary tasks.
    • After applying workarounds in MSP to get the summaries updated (by clicking on it ?!?), the data on the summaries never get synchronised with PWA. In General, there seems to be no "update" mechanism for this case from MSP to PWA.
    • The Update mechanism from PWA to MSP is working correctly!

I hope this thread will be read by one of the "big shots" on this forum ;)

Regards
    Wim

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Hi,

I bumped into this a few weeks ago too at a customer, pretty sure it's a bug too.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, December 23, 2011 10:20 AM
  • I struggle with it two weeks now. OMG, how can we do?

MSN:zhaodandut@hotmail.com

Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:09 AM
  • Hi Wim,

I just realize there may be another issue. As I mentioned before in pwa the point value is not accurate, but when edit the project in professional, the point value is correct. So it seems that although it in professional display save job successfully, publish job successfully, actually, it won't!  The data hasn't been saved and published to the server.

What do you think?

MSN:zhaodandut@hotmail.com

Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:55 AM
  • I will try to report it as a bug...

As far as I can see, the summary values in MSP are NOT updatingcorrectly in respect with the changes on task level!

• Marked as answer by Vicky.Z Friday, December 30, 2011 11:36 AM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:00 PM
  • I have pointed this out to MS as a possible bug.
    Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Thanks Brian - looks like we have several different issues here relating to the calculation of data in both Pro and PWA and also the publishing of the data from Pro.  I will enter bugs into our system - and at this stage they should get consideration for fixing in Service Pack 2 - but no guarantees they will get fixed.  If any of the posters to this thread work for organizations with Premier support contracts and would like to request an earlier fix then please open a support incident.

Best regards,

Brian

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:33 PM
  • Hi Brian,

I hope you have seen all the issues I've listed above in the context of this problem!

Regards
    Wim

Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:19 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Sorry for the misoperation. Your reply is very important to me. 

Thank you very much.

Looking forward to your final result.

Feel free to contact me from Skype name: abcdedandan

Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:06 AM
  • Hi all:

You may have all resolved your issues, but in case you haven't, I'll tell you what fixed mine.  I was also having the cost rollup and publish to Project Server errors that Wim and Vicki described and opened a case with Microsoft.  Microsoft Support asked that I install the April 2013 Project Pro 2010 client cumulative update (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2794664).  For my initial testing, I did not apply the related Project Server 2010 cumulative update - just the client one.

I retested pretty extensively (probably 7-10 projects over a 2 week period) and I was able to consistently have my custom cost fields rollup immediately within the client and publish to Project Server without an issue.  I later applied the April 2013 cumulative update to the server and still was able to correctly roll up and publish my custom cost field values.  It looks like it cured the problem for me.  Just thought I'd share in case anyone else was struggling.  Hope this helps!

Friday, May 24, 2013 7:59 PM