Cannot remove PC RRS feed

• Question

•  

My daughters' computer was hooked up and ruuning fine with One Care. The computer was reformatted and everything loaded back on. Unfortunately, now I have 2 PCs in One Care with the same name. I removed One Care from that computer, but still am unable to remove the PC from my hub. I also renamed the PC, then both names showed up and I still couldn't remove either of them (this was before I removed One Care). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:40 PM

Answers

• I can't remember the error message I received, but I just removed it off all 3 computers and reinstalled it and it works fine. Unfortunately, since word is out that Live OneCare will be going away in June, I will most likely not be renewing my subscription. I realy liked OneCare and am disappointed that it is going away.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Thanks for reporting back. I suspect that the message was "unknown error has prevented...try restarting the PC..." or similar. This can be due to a back end or communication issue.

Just for clarification, OneCare will stop being sold in June of 2009. At some point after that, likely by the end of the year, new subscriptions will not be allowed. Renewals will be sold and allowed through the same period, so a subscription to OneCare that expires in June 2009, for example, can be renewed and will be fully supported through expiration. I don't expect support for OneCare to cease until the end of 2010 based on the information in the press release. We don't know what the new antimalware product will be like or if other utilities will be offered to replace functions in OneCare that won't exist in the new product, so if you are pleased with OneCare now, there's really no reason to not renew as long as renewals are accepted.

-steve

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:17 PM

All replies

• What happens when you select to remove the PC from the listing on the Hub machine?

-steve

Monday, November 24, 2008 5:41 PM
  • I can't remember the error message I received, but I just removed it off all 3 computers and reinstalled it and it works fine. Unfortunately, since word is out that Live OneCare will be going away in June, I will most likely not be renewing my subscription. I realy liked OneCare and am disappointed that it is going away.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Thanks for reporting back. I suspect that the message was "unknown error has prevented...try restarting the PC..." or similar. This can be due to a back end or communication issue.

Just for clarification, OneCare will stop being sold in June of 2009. At some point after that, likely by the end of the year, new subscriptions will not be allowed. Renewals will be sold and allowed through the same period, so a subscription to OneCare that expires in June 2009, for example, can be renewed and will be fully supported through expiration. I don't expect support for OneCare to cease until the end of 2010 based on the information in the press release. We don't know what the new antimalware product will be like or if other utilities will be offered to replace functions in OneCare that won't exist in the new product, so if you are pleased with OneCare now, there's really no reason to not renew as long as renewals are accepted.

-steve

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:17 PM
  • What would you suggest someone replace LiveCare with?

Mark
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:26 PM
  • HuskerNation said:

What would you suggest someone replace LiveCare with?

Mark

If you want free - Morro, when it comes out. Today you can get Avast or AVG free versions from their web sites. And there are many, many alternatives if you are willing to pay. I cannot, however, make a recommendation.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 16, 2009 5:13 PM