Validation Error 0x80080299 Serious help needed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Firstly I am totally useless girl at computers so if you can help please explain in basic english and where to find the various things or extra info you require.

The computer was infected with a virus (even though Virus protection installed) I used the restore DVD that came with the PC and its all gone horribly wrong. It was preinstalled with windows XP SP2.

There are 2 users & 1 has restored to more or less from the begining but the other has stayed the same both accounts were administrators, do I have to use restore DVD using just 1 adminstrator account and restore it back to the point when I bought it?

I then tried to validate windows but got the above error, ran a check  as described in Microsoft Help and add-ons etc are enabled. I dont know what to do its driving me insane.

Any help or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated

M

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 10:41 PM

Answers

• Mogwai,

First I must say this forum is only for WGA so any other problems such as virus you would have to post in another forum.  As for WGA we can help. 

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1) Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2) Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below; the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:46 PM
  •  

Hi Stephen

As requested, I have checked active x controls & plug ins as explained in another forum they were set correct.  

All this is double dutch to me, dont know what I would do without people like you to help

Cheers

M

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-J8BM6-MXPH6-3R2BW
    Windows Product Key Hash: YMRVitCEjlJfwDQfjDvm97FbWA4=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00103
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {6F1C2172-0B0F-4EC5-85E1-4B357038BA11}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_70AFE6BE-1170-800401f3_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-416-800401f3_E2AD56EA-221-800401f3_16E0B333-147-800401f3_70AFE6BE-1170-800401f3_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-416-800401f3_E2AD56EA-221-800401f3_16E0B333-80-800401f3_78155E4D-307-800401
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Allowed
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Other data-->
    Office Details:

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:17 PM
  • Mogai,

This is an issue with your XML services on your computer. If you compare your diagnostic report with others on the forum, you will notice that you are missing a bunch of text at the bottom of your report. We call this the XML Blob. We have found that the 299 error in conjunction with the missing XML Blob means that either that the file msxml3.dll is unregistered (which means the registry key  ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’  is missing) or msxml3.dll is missing/corrupt.

To fix your issue, follow the below steps:

1) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

2) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>
    (Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ will be generated)

If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below steps, in that case:

1) Go to the 'Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7)' download page at  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en

2) From the files available, download “msxml3.msi”

3) Double click the file and follow the steps to install.

4) After the install is complete, click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

5) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 29, 2007 12:42 AM

All replies

• Mogwai,

First I must say this forum is only for WGA so any other problems such as virus you would have to post in another forum.  As for WGA we can help. 

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1) Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2) Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below; the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:46 PM
  •  

Hi Stephen

As requested, I have checked active x controls & plug ins as explained in another forum they were set correct.  

All this is double dutch to me, dont know what I would do without people like you to help

Cheers

M

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-J8BM6-MXPH6-3R2BW
    Windows Product Key Hash: YMRVitCEjlJfwDQfjDvm97FbWA4=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00103
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {6F1C2172-0B0F-4EC5-85E1-4B357038BA11}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_70AFE6BE-1170-800401f3_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-416-800401f3_E2AD56EA-221-800401f3_16E0B333-147-800401f3_70AFE6BE-1170-800401f3_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-416-800401f3_E2AD56EA-221-800401f3_16E0B333-80-800401f3_78155E4D-307-800401
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Allowed
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Other data-->
    Office Details:

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:17 PM
  • Mogai,

This is an issue with your XML services on your computer. If you compare your diagnostic report with others on the forum, you will notice that you are missing a bunch of text at the bottom of your report. We call this the XML Blob. We have found that the 299 error in conjunction with the missing XML Blob means that either that the file msxml3.dll is unregistered (which means the registry key  ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’  is missing) or msxml3.dll is missing/corrupt.

To fix your issue, follow the below steps:

1) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

2) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>
    (Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ will be generated)

If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below steps, in that case:

1) Go to the 'Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7)' download page at  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en

2) From the files available, download “msxml3.msi”

3) Double click the file and follow the steps to install.

4) After the install is complete, click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

5) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 29, 2007 12:42 AM