How do I restart my home server? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't see any choices in the Windows Home Server Console that would allow me to restart my server.  How am I supposed to do this?

I can see that I could log in as Administrator to the home server using Remote Desktop and then restart it like any Windows machine from the Start menu.  Is there a shorter way?

Similarly, how do I safely remove a USB drive that I add to my home server?  Without going to the Remote Desktop, I don't see how I am supposed to prepare a drive to be safely removed.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:06 PM

Answers

• In the Console click on Settings, then click Shutdown, and you will be prompted for either shutdown or restart, this image shows it nicely:

http://mswhs.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/howtogeekshutdownorrestart.png

If a USB drive is part of your storage pool, then you must go to the Server Storage Tab, select the drive, right click, and select remove, at which point it will copy all of the data off that drive onto another drive available in your storage pool.  Once all of the data is off the drive then you can remove it.

If the drive isn't part of your storage pool at all, then I guess you have the choice of either unplugging the USB cable, or shutting down the server, then removing the drive. 

Personally I always shutdown the server, then remove the USB drive, but that's because they were always part of my storage pool, then restart the server.

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:20 PM

All replies

• In the Console click on Settings, then click Shutdown, and you will be prompted for either shutdown or restart, this image shows it nicely:

http://mswhs.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/howtogeekshutdownorrestart.png

If a USB drive is part of your storage pool, then you must go to the Server Storage Tab, select the drive, right click, and select remove, at which point it will copy all of the data off that drive onto another drive available in your storage pool.  Once all of the data is off the drive then you can remove it.

If the drive isn't part of your storage pool at all, then I guess you have the choice of either unplugging the USB cable, or shutting down the server, then removing the drive. 

Personally I always shutdown the server, then remove the USB drive, but that's because they were always part of my storage pool, then restart the server.

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Thanks.  I had just figured this out and was going to answer my own question when I see that you have already provided an excellent answer.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 8:06 PM