My friend installed a vista disc on my computer, not it says I can only acess the internet with limited funcuality. I tried to install a brand new copy of windows 7 and my computer wouldnt allow me to do this, I cant even access the start menu. RRS feed

• Question

• My friend installed a windows vista disc and now it says its not a genuine copy, and now it only allows me to access the internt with reduced funcuality, I tried to install a brand new copy of windows 7 and my computer wouldnt allow it. I cant even access the start menu on my my computer, what can I do to fix this.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 12:34 AM

Answers

• "loveybear" wrote in message news:2faa65c4-9000-4793-b5d4-95d257502d9e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    My friend installed a windows vista disc and now it says its not a genuine copy, and now it only allows me to access the internt with reduced funcuality, I tried to install a brand new copy of windows 7 and my computer wouldnt allow it. I cant even access the start menu on my my computer, what can I do to fix this.

Copy off any data you can�??t afford to lose onto a USB external drive before trying to repair or install Windows.

If you have a retail full version of Win 7 then you boot with the Win 7 DVD (change the boot order in the bios if necessary.)  You won�??t be able to �??upgrade�?� your vista to Win 7 reliably by booting into Vista and running the upgrade.

If it is an upgrade version of Win 7 you need to have an activated version of Win XP or Vista to install the upgrade.  That would entail reinstalling (by booting with the previous version media) the original operating system, activating and then installing the Win 7 version.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, December 2, 2010 5:57 PM
    Friday, November 26, 2010 5:00 AM