sync contacts with Windows Address Book RRS feed

• Question

•  

Please, i do not want to but Outlook just to sync contacts! I have Windows XP and Windows Address Book, when will I be able to sync Windows Mobile contacts with Windows Address Book?
    Monday, February 25, 2008 4:14 AM

Answers

•  

I'm not quite sure what you have done Rasna.  I can tell you that I have been using Outlook and Outlook Mobile for years and have had virtually no issues.  The DST update did cause an issue with time on ALL DAY appointments on one device but 5 others are fine so I would tend to believe that issue is device specific.

Outlook Mobile was designed to sync with Outlook on your PC.  After setting up a partnership you can choose to sync Outlook items such as contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes.  For me it works well.

• Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:58 AM
    Sunday, March 9, 2008 9:02 PM

All replies

• I am having the same problem.  In the tools under options the address book is listed but no box to check to choose that option.  I was wondering if more needed to be downloaded from activesync to get that option working?

Rasna

Sunday, March 9, 2008 2:22 AM
  •  kitten3grass wrote:

Please, i do not want to but Outlook just to sync contacts! I have Windows XP and Windows Address Book, when will I be able to sync Windows Mobile contacts with Windows Address Book?

I don't think that is in the plans Kitten3grass.  Outlook Mobile was made to work with Outlook

Sunday, March 9, 2008 4:42 AM
  •  

But that is the problem it isn't working with outlook.  I figured out the problem but am not sure of a fix.

If you have windows outlook it does NOT work well with windows mobile.  Particularly the contacts.  It appears you can not download all contacts if you have them in subfolders.  I am surprised that windows mobile didn't work better with windows outlook but they apparently didn't think this through.

Kitten what you have to do is put all your subfolders into the main contact folder to have all of them show up in windows mobile.  I have been trying to see if there is a program to take care of this so you can continue using the contact subfolders but so far nothing works.

It will take microsoft people to fix ActiveSync.  The palm pda people fixed theirs a long time ago, so I really am surprised that microsoft is dragging their feet on this large problem.

now if you need your contacts separated out on your PDA you can use the catagory option in outlook.  What irked me was that I can't seem to just copy my subfolders into the contact folder (would have gotten best of both worlds but just had to do a bit of double work).  But do far I can't get that to occur.  So other than one subfolder I MUST keep separate I am using the catagories (which isn't all that great but at least my windows mobile works).

Let's hope microsoft figures out their mistake and gets a fix for this.

Rasna

Sunday, March 9, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Rasna, Kitten does not have Oulook so she won't be able to sync her contacts (unfortunately)

Sunday, March 9, 2008 7:41 PM
  • Then what does it sync with?  If it doesn't sync with what she has and it doesn't sync with outlook what is the program that it works with? 

I was thinking outlook because the reason it won't sync with outlook is because outlook utilizes windows address book.  Now, the activesync has an option for the microsoft address book but it isn't active, you can't check that box.  I was hoping this meant there was a patch to fix this problem, but I can't find one.

What a mess!! 

It's been a long time since I've had so much trouble sync'ing contacts.  Windows mobile trying to sync with microsoft outlook contacts has been a mess for me.

Rasna

Sunday, March 9, 2008 8:01 PM
  •  Rasnahinthial wrote:

Then what does it sync with?  If it doesn't sync with what she has and it doesn't sync with outlook what is the program that it works with? 

Outlook Mobile syncs with Outlook on your PC.  Outlook Mobile was made to work with Outlook.  I sync it with 6 different devices and has been fine in doing what I need.

Sunday, March 9, 2008 8:12 PM
  •  Rasnahinthial wrote:

Now, the activesync has an option for the microsoft address book but it isn't active, you can't check that box.  I was hoping this meant there was a patch to fix this problem, but I can't find one.

It recognizes it as a program but it is not made to sync with it or Windows Calendar.  In the past, device vendors would ALWAYS ship a copy of Outlook with devices but unfortunately they do not do that now ... cost cutting measures I guess.

Too bad because it has created a lot of confusion with some new users.

Sunday, March 9, 2008 8:15 PM
  • It does NOT work with outlook on the PC either.  It has completely messed my outlook up and you have to do a lot of twisting and manipulating to get it to work with your contacts on Outlook.

As I said I know this to be the way it is because there are a ton of articles on how it does NOT work well with outlook contacts.  There are a few programs claiming to help out but I haven't found them to do a very good job.

Sounds to me like ActiveSync has a lot of issues that need to be worked out because if it was meant to be used with windows mobile and windows outlook, well it doesn't do a very good job of that as far as contacts are concerned.

And since Oulook utilizes windows address book, and as you have stated the Activesync only recognizes address book rather than sync'ing with it then that explains why it doesn't work very well with the contacts between widnows mobile and windows outlook.

Well it appears there is a huge flaw in the windows mobile.  I do hope they fix it.  It is going to get annoying real fast to keep having to force Windows outlook and windows moble contacts to work together.  The only fix I came up with is not great.  It means that a huge amount of my contacts will never be in my windows mobile contacts since it wouldn't recognize all windows outlook contacts.

As I said this issue occured in Palm products as well, but they fixed it a long time ago.  I am just surprised that Windows is having such a hard time with their own products working together.

Rasna

Sunday, March 9, 2008 8:35 PM
  •  

I'm not quite sure what you have done Rasna.  I can tell you that I have been using Outlook and Outlook Mobile for years and have had virtually no issues.  The DST update did cause an issue with time on ALL DAY appointments on one device but 5 others are fine so I would tend to believe that issue is device specific.

Outlook Mobile was designed to sync with Outlook on your PC.  After setting up a partnership you can choose to sync Outlook items such as contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes.  For me it works well.

• Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:58 AM
    Sunday, March 9, 2008 9:02 PM
  • It's a problem with Activesync.  It's not me and it's not device specific.  I have read numerous articles on the issue so it isn't just me.  windows mobile and windows outlook do not sync up the contacts completely.  From what I can tell it is because Activesync doesn't let you utilize the address book option, then it would work perfectly.  As I said I have seen this before.  I've been using PDA's before most people knew what they were.  And even more so smartphone's

From all the articles I have read I have done the same work around as many others have.  the main complaint in all the postings and articles is that it is about time that microsoft fixed this problem.  And the fix would probably fix kitten's problem as well.  Some of the articles posted 3rd party programs to fix it.  I tried a few and they were less than optimal. 

Even when I searched on here to find a fix someone posted that Activesync will not sync up all the contacts from outlook.  Where the problem lies in using subfolders in contacts on outlook.  If on your outlook you use multiple groups.  I have one group in particular that I can't mix in with everything else and just utlize the catagory option.  So that doesn't get to be on my windows mobile in the contact list.  For now it's not an issue but it will eventually.  It's just going to add a lot of extra steps at various times. 

I plan to keep trying to come up with a better work around but am not optamistic.  Only because from what I have read many, many others have attempted work arounds without any luck.   

You are very lucky you haven't to run into this.

Thanks for responding.

Rasna 

Monday, March 10, 2008 1:52 AM
  • So just to be clear on my own situation:

- I use Windows Address Book for my contacts (do not own Outlook). 

- This Microsoft program will work with a Palm OS device or a RIM Blackberry.

- But this Microsoft program will never work with a Windows Mobile device????

If that's true, I'll be going back to Palm or Blackberry.

Please confirm??

Friday, April 18, 2008 2:04 AM
  • I think you can only synchronize contacts with PC when having Outlook installed.
    But if you don't want to synchronize, just import or export, many other programs can
    do that.
    I hope Microsoft can make the synchronize easier for the Non-Outlook user in the future
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 8:01 PM