2003 -> WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Currently i'm running a 2003 Std SP1 as a Domain, DNS, DHCP, File & WebServer...

I know these are a lot of tasks for one system, but i'm running this at home, and am not spending money for 6 servers and 6 licenses to split them up ;-)

But... Win2003 isn't able to run as a media provider for my Xbox 360. Therefore WHS does seem to be "the" solution. However my question is if the above services will be available on the WHS to? And if so, will there be a "simple" upgrade from 2003 SP1 to WHS?

I'm really intrested in this question as this will trigger me in trying, evaluation, even beta-testing the upgrade and functionalities.

Let me know ;-)

Kind regards,

Steve Van de Vel

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:05 AM

All replies

• In short, no  Although based on 2003 SBS much of the functionality has been removed to make it home friendly. And to make it worse there is no upgrade from 2003. Actually at this stage of the beta some of us are having problems with upgrading WHS to WHS. If you search around the forums people are finding work-arounds, adding 3rd party FTP servers etc. although depending on your needs the shared folders feature may be enough.

Why not d/l the documentation from Connect and have a read.

Gordon

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:14 AM
  • I think you should give WHS a try; you may find that it's just what you've been looking for. But it's not a replacement for Windows Server 2003.

All of the services you ask about are present in the CTP build. File and web serving are the only ones that are used by WHS, and so they are the only "supported" services. As for the others, we've been warned repeatedly that WHS is not intended to be a member of a domain, or a domain controller, and that using it in that fashion may break core functionality. The other services may be present, but they aren't something that WHS is designed to support.

As for an "upgrade from 2003 SP1 to WHS" no such thing is likely to exist; they are targeted at different markets. Windows Server 2003 is a server operating system for businesses. It may find a place in the home, but that's not a target market. WHS is targeted at the home, not business. The limitations (10 users, 10 client PCs, etc.) are all such that it will be difficult or impossible to use in a business setting.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 12:16 PM
  • Tnx for the quick replies.

I will give it a "Go" then... but probably within a virtual environment. And will be hoping the released Longhorn one does include all functionalities i'm using and requesting.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 12:50 PM