Reusing original retail upgrade product key after anytime upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting an upgrade copy of Windows 7 Professional in the next few days, as I want a few features that home premium does not have. My father has ordered it for me from a site that provides software for educational staff (he is a teacher). I'll obviously check the basic things like whether it's an msdn key, in which case I know I would have to get my money back, and go elsewhere for a legal copy.

However, once I recieve it, rather than doing an upgrade install, I will enter the key that comes with it into the anytime upgrade wizard. I am wondering whether doing this will mean my home premium key will then form a basis for the upgrade, as I am intending to give my copy of home premium to my father to run on his laptop (he currently has Vista home premium on it), or would it effectively release the home premium licence for use elsewhere?

Monday, September 13, 2010 7:56 PM

Answers

• Since the Windows 7 Home Premium license forms the basis for the Windows 7 Professional upgrade license, you cannot use that Windows 7 Home Premium license on a different computer.

Windows 7 Home Premium license + Windows 7 Professional Upgrade license = Windows 7 Professional Full license.

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 13, 2010 10:28 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by csc2ya Monday, September 13, 2010 11:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by csc2ya Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:12 AM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 9:19 PM

All replies

• Since the Windows 7 Home Premium license forms the basis for the Windows 7 Professional upgrade license, you cannot use that Windows 7 Home Premium license on a different computer.

Windows 7 Home Premium license + Windows 7 Professional Upgrade license = Windows 7 Professional Full license.

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 13, 2010 10:28 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by csc2ya Monday, September 13, 2010 11:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by csc2ya Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:12 AM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 9:19 PM
  • One thing I didn't clarify....the version I am getting is an upgrade version designed for upgrading from Vista. I know I could back up my data, reinstall vista, then upgrade to free up the home premium licence for use on another computer, but I don't really fancy doing that, so would rather upgrade by entering the key into the anytine upgrade wizard.

Since it is a retail upgrade copy, I would assume that the home premium licence (which is also a retail upgrade copy...again designed for upgrading from vista) would still be valid after the upgrade for use on another computer.

The thing I am not sure about is whether it is the method used to upgrade (entering the key into the anytime upgrade wizard vs doing a clean install via the workaround ms put in place) that determines whether the home premium licence is still valid.

I do have a legal oem copy of vista home premium on the recovery disk that came with my laptop, along with an anytime upgrade file for vista ultimate, so I know I can use the upgrade copy....it's just whether the old HP licence can still be used after upgrading to the pro version via the anytime upgrade wizard bearing in mind that both licences are retail upgrades, and both can be moved to different computers.

Probaby haven't worded that very well, but you should be able to see what i'm getting at.

I've unmarked the previous reply as the answer for now, just to ensure the response is read, as it may be possible you didn't understand exactly what licences I own when you replied....I didn't make that clear in the first post

Monday, September 13, 2010 11:52 PM
  • The correct answer is still the same as posted previously.
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:43 AM
  •  Ok...i'm guessing this part in my first reply:

The thing I am not sure about is whether it is the method used to upgrade (entering the key into the anytime upgrade wizard vs doing a clean install via the workaround ms put in place) that determines whether the home premium licence is still valid.

Is correct and it does make a difference then. Looks like my father either won't be getting my copy of home premium, or i'll be backing up my data, then clean installing professional in order to still be able to use home premium on a different machine.

Thanks for the help.

I have re-marked your previous reply as the answer.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:20 AM