External harddrive faillure RRS feed

• Question

• First off my apologies for lousy spelling. I'm dutch so don't hold it against me.

For some time now I added an external USB drive to my HD pool (WD Elements 500GB) out of necessity.

A few days ago the power supply failed. I contacted Western Digital and they told me they would replace the power supply but this might take a while. There is data on this drive which we can no longer access. I cannot get another power supply by other means so i'm stuck waiting on Western Digital.

When i look at the console in Disk Management i see that the disk name is a "WD 500AAV external USB device." Offcourse the status is "Missing".

My question is as follows: Is there another way to mount the harddrive back into the pool without losing the data on it. Can I for instance place it in an empty External USB drive or even place the harddrive itself internally? Or even connect it to another PC, access the Data on it and copy that to a new 1TB internal Harddrive which I bought to expand the WHS itself?

I hope that someone has an answer.

Kind regards,

John.

Monday, January 26, 2009 3:55 PM

Answers

• If you can open the case and shift the physical drive into another enclosure (or even into your server, assuming a free port of the appropriate type) then yes, you should be able to get the drive working that way. Even if WHS doesn't automatically recognize the drive, you will not damage the data on it by making the attempt.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Shoney24 Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:20 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 4:09 PM
  • If the drive was already part of the pool, then when you restart WHS it should be detected and included automatically. If not, you should not add it to the pool without some additional steps. Please get back to us in that case.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 4:29 PM
  • If you need the data real urgently then you could open the WD box to find out if the drive is IDE or SATA (this will void the warranty) and then buy the appropriate external USB enclosure for it to at least recover your data. Once you get the new power supply you can reassemble and have more space, buy another drive for the new enclosure and have even more space.
    PACS Technical Support Engineer
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:59 AM

All replies

• If you can open the case and shift the physical drive into another enclosure (or even into your server, assuming a free port of the appropriate type) then yes, you should be able to get the drive working that way. Even if WHS doesn't automatically recognize the drive, you will not damage the data on it by making the attempt.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Thank you for your VERY quick reply.

Do I need to add it to the pool again? Last time I did that WHS wanted me to format the drive before I added it.

Also, could I configure said drive in my own system and acces the data? That way i could install the 1TB drive in my WHS, which only has one sata port left, and have enough space to "copy" the data from my own system to the new drive for instance?

Monday, January 26, 2009 4:20 PM
  • If the drive was already part of the pool, then when you restart WHS it should be detected and included automatically. If not, you should not add it to the pool without some additional steps. Please get back to us in that case.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Thank you once again.

I will give it a try and get back to you as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,

John.

Monday, January 26, 2009 4:31 PM
  • If you need the data real urgently then you could open the WD box to find out if the drive is IDE or SATA (this will void the warranty) and then buy the appropriate external USB enclosure for it to at least recover your data. Once you get the new power supply you can reassemble and have more space, buy another drive for the new enclosure and have even more space.
    PACS Technical Support Engineer
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:59 AM
  • Well i would like to thank you for your advice.

Thankfully I recieved the powersupply today. Adding it back onto the server and restarting it gave me once again access to all my files.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Kind Regards,

John.

• Unmarked as answer by Shoney24 Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:20 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:19 PM