none
Shared Folder "Failing (Check Health)", but Storage shows all good!

Question

• Just installed RC1... install went well.  (pain to move everything off and back on, but such is life when working in beta)

So, in one of my user account folders (\\WHS\\Users\account), I am showing in WHS Console that it is "Failing (Check Health)".  This folder only contains about 4Gb when other shared folders contain up to 600Gb worth of data.  I have tried removing the user account attached to it and re-creating, but it comes back with the same error each time.  I don't show any errors on the hard drives themselves when I look under the "Server Storage" tab.  I have also let chkdsk run twice and it comes up with no problems found.

When I go to the Network At Risk tab on WHS console and view the details of the error, it simply lists about 10 files in the folder and says "FAILURE:" before each one.  I have actually even gone in to delete just these files and the error doesn't seem to clear itself...

I'm guessing it's a file system error, but I'm not sure the best way to repair...since chkdsk doesn't seem to be helping.

Any advice?

Would be nice if WHS not only told me about the error, but also suggested routes to repair it...

Thursday, June 21, 2007 6:25 AM

Answers

• I finished my WHS install 2 days ago, and yesterday turned on duplication for my personal folder, the one with the name of my user.

Same error described here, i checked details and there were 2 files that were in conflict. I didnt needed them, so I deleted both, rebooted the server and I got network healthy again.

I guess that if i needed the files, i would copy them to another location and do the same procedure.
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 1:50 PM

All replies

• How many hard disks do you have?  How full is each drive?

Is Folder Duplication turned on for the folder that is failing?

Do you have files with long filenames in that shared folder?  Max path length for duplication to work is ~240 characters.

Try shortening the name for one of these files ... does that get rid of the error?

Friday, June 22, 2007 12:22 AM
  • Thanks for the quick response!

I have 3 SATA hard disks, 1-320Gb as my boot and 2 - 500Gb for storage.  I have about 411Gb free out of the 1.3Tb.  I have let the system balance storage so I'm assuming free space is balanced between the 3 drives.  Folder duplication is on for this folder in question.  I also attempted to turn it off though and the errors remained.

The long filenames thing is something that I definitely wasn't aware of and it is good to know.  I do have long filenames in the shared folder, but the path to these files is no where near 240 characters. 

I tried deleting the folders with errors last night... the error message went away, but when I copy the same things back in the folder the error notice re-appears this time calling out new file names with the word "FAILURE" in front of each.

How long does it take for the error message to "clear" once you have fixed a problem?

Any other suggestions?

Is there a file system diagnoistic utility that you recommend that works well with WHS?

Friday, June 22, 2007 4:58 AM
  • I would like to take this a step further as I had exactly the same situation. Except only a 160gig and a 20gig drive.
    I assumed it was a space error, and turned off duplication. This solved the failing network problem and gave me the green light.
    But I noticed it didn't return the free space, so I browsed the Data disk and noticed a folder named "DE" which contained the same files as the shared folder plus files I know I got rid of.
    I believed this to be the duplication stuff and proceeded to delete everything. I noticed it kept filling back up even though duplication was turned off and finally managed to clear most of it away. (This was a big Mistake)...
    All my files in the shares look fine (file sizes and folder structure) . But now nothing is readable by the system, even if you take the disk to an xp machine. So now as I'm typing I am trying to recover these files(undelete) from the DE folder.
    There is definitely a space reporting problem or duplication problem. And it would be good to understand the file structure in depth to have more control. Not for the home user but Qualified people like myself who will inevitably have to fix these problems, at some stage.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 6:56 AM
  • I had a similar problem just after I completed the copy of my data back.  The "failing" folder wasn't important so I deleted it and I haven't seen a problem since, on CTP my problem would go away for long periods anyway so I can't be sure that the problem hasn't recurred since I deleted the folder.

The "offending" filenames I had weren't long or have any "funny" characters, the path was something like

\\WHSERVER\SHARED FOLDERS\PUBLIC\DOWNLOADS\APP\VERSION\<files>

which didn't have "funny" characters but did have at least one space, possibly two.

On CTP when I experienced this problem deleting the offending files only moved to problem to other files or folders.  This time the erro (for the moment) does not appear to be recurring and my initial error could just have an initial glitch.  At least I hope was just an initial glitch.

Friday, June 22, 2007 12:38 PM
  • I have Just setup WHS, build 3790.

300GB boot disk was split 20/280 automatically by WHS

Added 2 x Hitachi Sata, 500GB drives

No folder duplication was enabled (from day one, nor has it been enabled)

Amount of data I copied is approx 220GB

Have 1.18tb storage, 80% free, 17% used

All disks are healthy

Have a large Itunes directory on another machine, linked over a network, and copied all the files across, to the media server, the status on the Music folder is Failing (Check Health) on the Media Server

what do I do now ?

Thursday, December 13, 2007 8:11 AM
  • I did have a filename too long. I used a free program called "Long Filename Finder" to find it.

There is also another program called "Path Scan" to find paths that are too long.

Long Filename Finder

http://www.dcsoft.com/products/longff/longff.htm 

Path Scan

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/Path-Scan.shtml
    Saturday, July 12, 2008 7:31 AM
  • I finished my WHS install 2 days ago, and yesterday turned on duplication for my personal folder, the one with the name of my user.

Same error described here, i checked details and there were 2 files that were in conflict. I didnt needed them, so I deleted both, rebooted the server and I got network healthy again.

I guess that if i needed the files, i would copy them to another location and do the same procedure.
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 1:50 PM
  • I have the same Failing (Check Helath) om my shared folder. Duplication is turned off, 2 X 1TB, and I have searched for long file names without results.
    Where can I find some more details about the error?

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:00 PM
  • I have the same Failing (Check Helath) om my shared folder. Duplication is turned off, 2 X 1TB, and I have searched for long file names without results.
    Where can I find some more details about the error?

You would probably have better results by starting your own thread (instead of adding to one from 2 years and 2 Power Packs ago and that has already been marked as answered).  Also, it would help if you gave as much as info as possible.  For starters, does your Console show a yellow or red status icon?  If so, what is the exact error message that shows up when you click on it?
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:56 AM