Restored system seems worse than previous one.... RRS feed

• Question

• Because of problems with booting up, and the failure of my monitor, which I replaced, I had to get into recovery manager and do a system restore.  I went back to factory settings. I had to do it three times -- and on the third try it seemed to work -- but when I unistalled some programs (Like Norton) I started to run ito problems.  First, on restarting, I got the "logging off" screen for about an hour. It never finished logging off, and I had to power off manually and reboot.  I downloaded and installed all the MS updates -- it installed (all? I'm not sure) successfully -- but the installing update and the progress bar remained on foir good.  Could not get rid of it.  Trouble shooting led to the Fix it Center; when I tried to download that, I got about 65% done -- and then it stayed at that point on the progress bar for more than 30 minutes -- until I gave up and cancelled.  It seems the factory settings are much worse now than they were when I got this PC... Or the recovery disks (the set has FIVE of them!) are HP bogus.  What can I do to get what is supposed to be a clean system really clean?
    Saturday, June 9, 2012 7:08 AM