Best way to create playlists on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• A couple of months ago, I bought an HP EX485 in order to consolidate all of my media and access everything remotely. I'm a WHS newbie and am not a programmer, so I'm hoping someone can give me advice about the easiest way to create playlists on the server, preferably remotely. I've spent a couple of hours reading forums and posts about playlists on WHS, but most of them seem to be from before Firefly came installed on or they assume an iTunes history.

Basically, I want the ability to listen to my music at work or when I'm on the road and create playlists from the same interface. Ideally, those playlists would also be available to other users on my server, but I'm willing to export and import for each user if I have to. The native streaming app doesn't include playlist creation, and I'm unclear on how to easily create a static playlist with Firefly. I installed Orb and I like the interface, but for some reason it doesn't see all of the songs on the server. For example, it will show the first five songs of an album but not the last six.

I've always used Archos MP3 players where I created playlists in folders, rather than in software, so I don't have any existing playlists to import. I'm not a big fan of iTunes but will convert to it if it's the easiest way to do this. I'm unclear how I'd 1) create a playlist on the server using it, or 2) create a playlist locally and import it into the native WHS streaming app.

My original goal was to be able to create the playlists as I'm listening to music remotely, but it sounds like that might not be possible. At this point, I'd really appreciate any entry level advice about the best way to add playlists to the server in general.

TIA.
    Jenny
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:51 AM

All replies

• By default Firefly will read playlists from an iTunes database, if you use iTunes. If you don't, you should consult the Firefly web site, because it's also capable of importing standard .m3u format playlists, and in addition has the ability to create playlists "on the fly" using the Firefly web interface. The Firefly web interface isn't available from afar unless you forward additional ports in your router...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:20 PM