WHS and SharePoint Supported or Not? RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon Folks!
    I am using WHS at a few client locations, and one of them have the need for SharePoint.  I have seen a number of posts here in the forums showing that it can be installed, and that it can work well.  My questions would be is it supported.  Being as I am using this in business environments I wouldn't want to do anything that would ruin my ability to get help from Microsoft if needed.  Is there anywhere on the Microsoft website that I can find a document stating what is supported and what is not supported?  Thanks in advance!

Ted
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:03 PM

Answers

• Not. See KB 940882, where it's clear that neither the Windows Home Server team nor the Sharepoint team will support this configuration.

The rule of thumb for Windows Home Server is that nothing you do using any tools other than the shares, the console, and the remote access web site is supported. Installing ad-ins is a gray area; the ability to install them, thereby extending the server, is supported, but the add-in itself will only be supported by the author.

Doing something that's not supported is not so much of a factor with Windows Home Server, as it's available only from OEMs and in the system builder channel, i.e. there is no retail version. System builder products are generally not supported by Microsoft, so presuming you've built the servers you have placed in businesses, you are the support for them already.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by HarborTed Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:18 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:15 PM

All replies

• Not. See KB 940882, where it's clear that neither the Windows Home Server team nor the Sharepoint team will support this configuration.

The rule of thumb for Windows Home Server is that nothing you do using any tools other than the shares, the console, and the remote access web site is supported. Installing ad-ins is a gray area; the ability to install them, thereby extending the server, is supported, but the add-in itself will only be supported by the author.

Doing something that's not supported is not so much of a factor with Windows Home Server, as it's available only from OEMs and in the system builder channel, i.e. there is no retail version. System builder products are generally not supported by Microsoft, so presuming you've built the servers you have placed in businesses, you are the support for them already.

• Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by HarborTed Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:18 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:15 PM
  • Thanks Ken, that's exactly what I was looking for.  Using the WHS in a business environment is technically a grey area as well, but it fits nicely in some areas.  This cleared up my question.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:20 PM
  • Thanks Ken, that's exactly what I was looking for.  Using the WHS in a business environment is technically a grey area as well, but it fits nicely in some areas.  This cleared up my question.
    Windows Home Server, at around $55 per user for 10 users, is the cheapest backup solution I know of. Even if you're not using it for anything else, using it for that makes a ton of sense.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:44 PM