Printer sharing HP PSC2500 all in one printer failure RRS feed

• Question

• I am experiencing a problem connecting to an windows xp shared printer on my desk top from my Windows Vista notebook.  When I  try to add the printer on the Windows XP desktop from my Vista notebook, I get the message "Windows cannot connect to the printer.  Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000046a)".

I check the drivers on the Windows XP desktop, it is a HP driver and has no driver available for the Wiindows Vista operating system.  I also find that the HP driver is identified as not supported by Windows live one care.

Where can I get a printer driver fot the HP psc2500 all in one printer that is comptaible with windows vista, windows xp and windows live one care.  The other option would be to move everything that needs to be printed to the desk top.  I would expect that HP printer driver software should be available soon since there are a lot of HP printers in the market place. 

I could not find a direct com link with windows llive one care.  I hope that I can find a solution here.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:01 PM

Answers

• Are you trying to set up the printer manually with Windows File and Printer Sharing, I assume? Is the laptop running Vista 64 bit or 32 bit? If it is 64 bit, it will need to have the drivers from HP to work.

Is OneCare running on both PCs?

How did you determine that the "HP driver is identified as not support by Windows Live OneCare?"

Have you tried connecting the printer directly to the laptop to see if it works locally? If so, it isn't a driver issue for the printer, but a network/firewall issue. Note that for the other functions of the printer to work - FAX and Scan - you'll need the HP software and you may need to configure the firewall on one or both machines to allow the software to access the printer for those functions.

If the printer works when connected locally, then you should be able to configure the firewall to allow File and Printer Sharing, once you have Shared the printer from the desktop, even if the laptop is running Vista 64 bit. Note that you have posted to the forum topic for Printer Sharing which is provided by OneCare, but will only work if both PCs are running the same architecture - that is 32 bit XP and 32 bit Vista. Open OneCare, click change settings and you should see a Printer Sharing tab. On the desktop, set the option to share the printer to other PCs in your Circle.

See this KB article for more details:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943788/en-us

If you need to share it manually with Windows File and Printer Sharing and you can print with the printer attached locally to the laptop or you can print from the laptop to the desktop if you turn off the OneCare firewall temporarily, try the following:

Open OneCare on each of the computers.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable them in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:27 AM