Access filehare and remote desktop via VPN network RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VPN connection between two locations and I have have two different local ip ranges, same subnet mask. But I'm not able to ping the homeserver from the other end, but I have no to access remote desktop and fileshare. I use the IP adress of the homeserver.
    Any ideas?

Monday, March 2, 2009 10:27 PM

Answers

• Milzit said:

I thought the subnet mask was used to check if it is a subnet or nor using bitvise and operation.
    I have 192.168.6.x and 192.168.9.x and both are now using subnet 255.255.255.240.  Should not this be the same subnet?
    But still this was not working.
    It will not be so easy to define both serers under 192.168.9.x/24 as there are seperate dns server and vpn configuration.

But installing Hamaci VPN on both servers worked, but the prefered solution will be to use our existing VPN network...

192.168.6/24 and 192.168.9/24 are different subnets. The "/24" part is shorthand for "255.255.255.0" which says that the first 24 bits of the IP address have to match exactly. When there was such a thing, this was referred to as a "Class C network". The subnet mask is equivalent to "/28", which can't be expressed properly in the notation I used. :)

You might want to play with one or another IP address calculator, such as this one. But the short answer is that, if you can't have both servers in the same subnet, with all points between also in the same subnet, you will have to use some sort of workaround which does achieve that.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 4:00 PM

All replies

• Milzit said:

... and I have have two different local ip ranges, same subnet mask. ...

What you're saying here is that you have two separate subnets. Windows Home Server isn't really designed for use in a complex network, and I believe this is the source of the issue you're seeing.

If you configure your VPN so that you have only one subnet everything should work.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 12:26 AM
  • Thank you. I will try to change the subnetmask so we have the same subnet.

We have a home server on both locations, will it be any problem with the agents if they find two homeservers? They will ask which server to use I guess?
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:49 AM
  • Just so we're clear :):

The subnet is defined by the ip address range (all your machines will need to be under 192.168.1/24 for example) plus DNS, etc. In your environment, VPN clients are receiving e.g. 192.168.4/24 addresses while internal clients receive 192.168.1/24 addresses. This is the likely source of your current issue.

The Home Server connector software will work fine with two or more servers on the network, as long as they have different computer names. Computers that are enrolled with Server A will back up to that server, and vice versa. Shares will work fine, etc. By default, a self-installed WHS computer will be named SERVER, and one from HP will be named HPSERVER, so you might have to change a computer name. It does work, however; I have a variable number of servers at home, but almost always greater than one. :)

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:13 PM
  •  I thought the subnet mask was used to check if it is a subnet or nor using bitvise and operation.
    I have 192.168.6.x and 192.168.9.x and both are now using subnet 255.255.255.240.  Should not this be the same subnet?
    It will not be so easy to define both serers under 192.168.9.x/24 as there are seperate dns server and vpn configuration.

But installing Hamaci VPN on both servers worked, but the prefered solution will be to use our existing VPN network...
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Milzit said:

I thought the subnet mask was used to check if it is a subnet or nor using bitvise and operation.

192.168.6/24 and 192.168.9/24 are different subnets. The "/24" part is shorthand for "255.255.255.0" which says that the first 24 bits of the IP address have to match exactly. When there was such a thing, this was referred to as a "Class C network". The subnet mask is equivalent to "/28", which can't be expressed properly in the notation I used. :)

You might want to play with one or another IP address calculator, such as this one. But the short answer is that, if you can't have both servers in the same subnet, with all points between also in the same subnet, you will have to use some sort of workaround which does achieve that.

Saturday, March 7, 2009 4:00 PM