Dupliate Names Showing Up in Communicator Search RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 2003 R2 SP2
    OCS 2007 RTM
    Communicator 2007 v.2.0.6362.0

I have a few users that show up twice (or more) when doing a search on their name. For example, Chris Evans, shows up twice. When I do a search in AD his name only comes up once. A search in the OCS console only turns up one user. Of the two entries one live (it shows online/offline presence info), the other entry does not show any status at all (not even Presence Unknown ). When I look at the Contact Card (using Communictor) for the live entry it shows his contact info, email address, sip address, etc. The other entry only shows a phone number.

The reason this is suddenly a problem is that I've setup communication with a federated domain. Communicate between domains is working except for users who have the duplicate entries. When a user in domain A tries to add a contact from Domain B it fails if user B happens to be one of the users that has duplicate entires. The error I get from Commuicator is "Cannot complete the search. An unidentified error has occurred. Please try again later...."

Does anybody have any ideas how I can track down the duplicate entry?

Thanks
    Chad

There is nothing helpful in the event logs.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:45 PM

All replies

• The duplicates could be coming from Outlook contacts stored in your mailbox.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:20 PM
  • An Outlook profile is not setup on my test machine, and I've set Personal Information Manager to None in Communicator Options.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Are only contacts from Federated systems appearing as duplicates?  You don't have mail-enabled Contacts objects in AD for any of these people as well, correct?
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:50 PM
  • Leaving Federated stuff out of it for a moment -- I'm a user in Domain B, when I do a search on Chris Evans, for example, I see duplicate entries.

Now, a user in Domain A attempts to add Chris Evans as a Communicator contact (using Add a Contact...) and it fails with the message I described earlier. The user in Domain A is able to add other users from Domain B without an issue.

I've found 6 other names in Domain B that have duplicate entries. All give the same error when a user in Domain A tries to add them as a contact.

I do not have a mail enabled contact for Chris in Domain A.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:06 PM