winSSUI.EXE hangs; Red Onecare icon is in sys tray RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a Win XP Home computer where winSSUI.EXE (the user interface screen) hangs or stops responding every time it is started.  One Care vrsn 2.0.2500.10 currently installed.

The system tray icon was yellow for a couple of weeks, but I assuned that was because the external hard drive was disconnected and backups were prevented, this while I was doing some remodeling of the family room and moving of the computer.  At this point, the system tray icon is red, but since the program hangs, I can't use the screen to find out what the problem is.  I've gone thru all the help topics, done all the fixes that were suggested.  Uninstalled, reinstalled, cleaned out directories, started in safe mode, used diagnostic startup.  Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Friday, December 7, 2007 6:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• The OneCare team is aware of this problem and are working to identify the cause as quickly as possible. Please contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 3:58 PM
  • Had the exact same problem with Win XP SP2.  Had the winssui.exe error box with error code 0xc0000135.  Research indicated to remove Windows Defender (via Add/Remove Programs).  Once removed, Onecare worked fine but system still extremely slow.  Presently waiting for response from wloc@onecare.com in hopes they will connect remotely to further resolve the issue.

Saturday, December 8, 2007 2:32 PM
  • Steve

Been a few days since I've heard from Support.  I looked to see if Defender is presently installed and it is not, so that doesn't seem likely to be the problem, though there is a recent uninstall log for Defender in the Program Files folder.  Perhaps Support will have time to reply this week.

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:30 AM
  •  SaddleTramp wrote:
    Had the exact same problem with Win XP SP2.  Had the winssui.exe error box with error code 0xc0000135.  Research indicated to remove Windows Defender (via Add/Remove Programs).  Once removed, Onecare worked fine but system still extremely slow.  Presently waiting for response from wloc@live.com in hopes they will connect remotely to further resolve the issue.

Thanks for sending in your support data to the wloc@live.com address (hoping that you sent it there and not @onecare.com). The OneCare team will only contact you if they need further information. However, with the submitted data, they are able to determine the causes and publish a fix, either via an update to the program or a tool that will be announced here in the forums.

-steve

Monday, December 10, 2007 5:21 PM
  •  Ron Nielson wrote:

Steve

Been a few days since I've heard from Support.  I looked to see if Defender is presently installed and it is not, so that doesn't seem likely to be the problem, though there is a recent uninstall log for Defender in the Program Files folder.  Perhaps Support will have time to reply this week.

If you don't hear from support, don't despair. The OneCare team is working to identify the cause of and provide a fix for this and other issues, so keep an eye on the forum.

-steve

Monday, December 10, 2007 5:24 PM
  • Ok, I'll wait, but this is getting old. 

How can the individual components of One Care be run without the user interface screen?  How can I run Backup, for example, without the user interface screen? Or how can I run the Virus scanner without the user interface screen? 

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:45 PM
  •  Ron Nielson wrote:

Ok, I'll wait, but this is getting old. 

How can the individual components of One Care be run without the user interface screen?  How can I run Backup, for example, without the user interface screen? Or how can I run the Virus scanner without the user interface screen? 

Unfortunately, without being able to get to the main program window you won't be able to run anything for OneCare, though the firewall and antivirus should still be protecting you.

Have you seen this post, requesting information from those with the crashing problems? http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523170&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:42 AM
  • Message sent as requested in the link along with the OneCare zip file. Since my machine consistently hangs (reproducable error) should be a good machine to use to help solve the problem.

Ron

Friday, December 14, 2007 4:03 AM
  • I, too, am having problems with the WinSUII hangning up the program.    When the fix is available, please do include as a tool that can be downloaded outside of the WLOC program.  Currently with the WinSUII problem the update tool is inoperable as WLOC fails to launch.

Friday, December 14, 2007 3:42 PM
  • I assume this is some kind of cruel joke.  Onecare doesn't respond so there is no way to use the contact information explained in the linked item. The link at the bottom of the note doesn't work leaving me frozen out of support as well as Onecare.

How do I get my money back??

Monday, December 31, 2007 7:00 PM
  • In the How to reach support FAQ is the link to jump to the Help page without starting in OneCare:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

You can also click the link above to start the support flow directly if OneCare cannot start or if you are at a PC where OneCare is not installed.

Then jump ahead to these steps:

• click "Get More Help" in the lower right hand corner
  • Click "Get Support"
  • Select "Billing Support" or "Technical Support"
  • Select "No. This is a new issue"
  • Select "on a different computer"
  • Click Continue
  • Select "I have a trial/beta version of OneCare"
  • Click Continue
  • Sign in with your LiveID
  • Fill in the form with as much detail as possible and click continue
  • Make a note of the Case ID
  • You will typically receive a response within 24 hours, but it may be longer on weekend and holidays or periods of high volume.
  • Be sure to check your Junk Mail folders for the support response when checking your email and insure that you are not automatically deleting mail from unknown senders.
Wednesday, January 2, 2008 2:49 AM
  •  

I am having problems with .Net 1.0 and 1.1 and the updates to them. Then I went ahead and installed Live Onecare and get this isse.

Is this related to .Net issues?

Thursday, January 3, 2008 2:58 PM
  •  Tepid wrote:

I am having problems with .Net 1.0 and 1.1 and the updates to them. Then I went ahead and installed Live Onecare and get this isse.

Is this related to .Net issues?

It should not be, as OneCare uses .Net Framework 2.0

Contact OneCare support for the winssui.exe problem - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

For the .Net 1.0 and 1.1 update problems, you may want to uninstall both .Net 1.0 and 1.1 and then install them once again from Windows Update.

-steve

Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:59 PM
  • This is the same problem im having, I cannot open the user interface. how am I supposed to download the patch?

As of yet I have not found a way to manualy update the program, if there is one please inform us.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:53 PM
  • Since you can't open OneCare, please contact support for help - 

If you can open OneCare, there is a link in the main interface - check for updates. If OneCare is running and in green status, despite the fact that you can't open the program to change settings, it should be updating itself.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 2:06 PM
  • I cannot open oneCare at all and it is in status red, so is there a way to run a exe file to run automatic update? Or a place to down load them?

I sent in a bug report thing by email and recieved we are on holiday response... so when should i be expecting to fix this or rebuy my norton subscription?

Saturday, January 19, 2008 5:31 AM
  • Problem was that "Terminal Services" was disabled.

Go into -- Start menu -- Adminstartive tools -- Services -- "Terminal Services" -- Set to automatic, and press start service.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Sebastion

Thanks for your reply and the sharing of your knowledge.  Apparently, THIS IS THE ANSWER TO MY PROBLEM also, though it may not fix every user's screen hang problem.

I went into Start: Control Panel; Administrative Tools; Services.  Then I found Terminal services, changed the startup type to Automatic, then on the same tab started the service.  Went to Onecare and the User Interface screen now works. VOILA!  I just knew there had to be a simple solution, just couldn't find it myself.

Many thanks to you for the solution.  And I hope that Microsoft notes that it should NOT be up to users to solve such a problem.  This is a problem that they should have solved long ago. Never should have gone past basic troubleshooting by a Microsoft engineer.  They certainly should know which programs need to be running, which services should be started, etc, for their program to work.  This is only basic dependency knowledge of the program itself.

Perhaps YOU should be working for Microsoft!

Ron
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:37 PM
  •  

Your very welcome, I was infact having the same problem as you, Happy to help.
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:40 PM
  • Had the same problem. Starting Terminal Services was the solution.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:13 PM
  •  mortenF wrote:

Had the same problem. Starting Terminal Services was the solution.

Thanks for confirming what the solution was for you.

-steve

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:56 PM
  • Did your problem get resolved?  I have been tied up with WLOC for days now trying to repair and troubleshoot issues with firewall first of all and now WLOC will not open at all.  My desktop OS Windows Vista is the computer that Is having the issue but I am using my laptop for now and it operates XP and I have not installed the updated version 2.0 and am having no problems with it.  I am loosing faith quickly in the new version.  Utilities  are not responding such as the Microsoft.NET Services Installation Utility that the tech tried to install and various other problems!  I hope that your luck is better than mine. 

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:52 PM
  • Lisa

Did you look to see if Services for WLOC was in a 'started' status?  Those of us who have been able to solve our problem found that the Services for WLOC were stopped.  See Previous messages on how to check for this and then to set WLOC to start automatically.  If your system show that the services are started, you have apparently a different problem than we did.

As for the Red icon,  WLOC has recently now  changed their program to look for other programs on your system and  if they're found, they tell you to uninstall them.  I am dinged on  Norton Systemworks and  McAfee Site Advisor.  Guess what? WLOC does NOT do ALL that these programs do and I'm going to continue to run them. I don't run the anti-virus portion on Norton, but I use some of the other features.  I MIGHT CANCEL my subscription to WLOC, but I'm not going to uninstall these programs.   Too bad Microsoft took this approach.

Ron
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:05 AM
  • Ron,   my problem started with the firewall.  I contacted WLOC after all of the troubleshooting on their website.  I went through x2 techs, trying all of the steps that I had performed and more.  I then ran the MSD tool, in which it sends a report to Microsoft about your whole computer.  Three days later Microsoft's elevated tech called and ran some tools, tests, installing and uninstalling of various other programs such as .NET 1.1, a registry cleaner etc.  After about 4 hours he called me and told me to contact HP to do a repair of my computer.  I will do a clean install since I have had it over 9 months.  I wonder if B.G. will be embarrassed?  Let me know if you get my drift?  Thank you for the response and the answer to your question about WLOC being started no that was not the original problem.  I was desperate to find any other fix that may help me.  Thanks for the response.     

Lisa
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:56 PM