Controlling and viewing status of backups RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to suggest a couple of improvements to backups.

1. Provide a way to force a backup to occur, perhaps from Scheduled Tasks either on the clients, or on WHS. I usually turn off all my systems when not in use, but I have Thursday nights reserved for OneCare tune-up of all my PCs. It would be nice to be able to schedule backups for (say 3am by which time OneCare should be finished).
    2. An easier way to see when the last backup occured. I suggest this because I still find myself unsure as to whether all my PCs were backed up recently (and more importantly, did that backup occur today or yesterday). For example instead of saying "backed up", it could say "Last backup - successful 8/28/07 13:51" (perhaps in a tooltip)

Thanks ... Mike

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:28 PM

All replies

• I believe that WHS already addresses your issues.  You can force a backup to start by right clicking on the icon in the system tray and starting the backup.  You can also go into the console and on the Computers tab, you can start a backup for any PC you have connected to WHS.  If you say that you leave your PC's powered up on Thursdays for backups,then there is really no need to schedule anything.  WHS will backup all of your PC's during the backup time.  You can also go into the settings in the console in the backup tab and set the backup window to whatever you want.

As far as viewing the backup status, you can go into the WHS console and view the backup status of all of your PC's in the Computers tab.  If a backup fails, you will see it there and you will also get a message of a failed backup on your PC.  The icon in the system tray will change to yellow or red (I forget).

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:01 PM