4 computers 2 vista and 2 XP renewal RRS feed

• Question

• Our 2 XP computers do have live one care that has just expired, but our two new Vista computers should not need renewal yet.  (not for 8 or 9 months)  Why are all four computers getting messages that one care has expired and the symbol is red?  What should I do?

Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:01 PM

Answers

• If all 4 computers are useing the same oneCare product number then the subscription countdown would have started when you first installed it. And not restarted the subscription when you installed it on the newer computers.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:30 AM

All replies

• If all 4 computers are useing the same oneCare product number then the subscription countdown would have started when you first installed it. And not restarted the subscription when you installed it on the newer computers.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:30 AM
  • First of all, OneCare should only be on 3 computers with the same LiveID per the terms of your license.

What version of OneCare are each of the computers running and are they all using the same LiveID as the subscription ID as shown in Help/About?

What is the status of your subscription when you sign in with the subscription LiveID at http://billing.microsoft.com?

-steve

Sunday, January 20, 2008 2:57 AM
  • Could you use the same e-mail address when installing with two diffrent product keys, would it recognise that there were two subscriptions or would it not allow you to use the same e-mail?

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:01 AM
  •  Sebastion wrote:

Could you use the same e-mail address when installing with two diffrent product keys, would it recognise that there were two subscriptions or would it not allow you to use the same e-mail?

No, each LiveID can only have a single subscription for 3 PCs. It is a current limitation of the Billing system.

2 subscriptions need two LiveIDs.

-steve

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:05 AM
  • Thank you, and Wow you post really fast.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:06 AM
  • So do you. :-) I just happened to be in this topic. I'm working my way through the topics...I won't be back to this one until tomorrow unless the traffic in the rest of the folders is light.... :-)

-steve

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:14 AM
  • Steve, my original XP version was loaded on two computers.  When we purchased the new Vista computers I did not think the versions were compatible and purchased a new Vista version for two new computers.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 7:14 PM
  • Stephen, I thought I would piggyback on this question since mine is similar:

I have:

3 computers on XP and OneCare with the same Live ID. They are 6 months old

Yesterday I added Live One Care to my new VISTA laptop after purchasing the new software since my 3 initial uses were 'used up'

However, I installed the OneCare using the same Live ID but, of course, the different product number. However, the now day old software carries the expiration of the first 3...six months from now!

Questions:

1)  Must I re-install the new software and create a new Live ID in order to get the full 12 months subscription?

2) Will doing so "burn" one of the two remaining uses?

3) If I reinstall using a new Live ID will I still be able to manage the other 3 computers (all XP remember) on the same circle?  Can I use a central backup for all 3 even though one is a different ID AND a different Operating Program (Vista)?

I like the OneCare but didn't realize I had complicated things with the additional purchases.

Thanks for your help.

JackBMc

Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:16 PM
  •  BAENOW wrote:

Steve, my original XP version was loaded on two computers.  When we purchased the new Vista computers I did not think the versions were compatible and purchased a new Vista version for two new computers.

Then I suspect that you activated the two Vista copies with the same LiveID and never used your new retail key. Uninstall OneCare from one Vista machine and reinstall. Activate with a different LiveID and provide the retail key from your second box copy. Repeat on the other Vista machine. You can also repeat on one XP machine if you want all 3 in the same Circle, but the 4th PC will need to be renewed with a different key or credit card on line.

Hopefully this makes sense, but you can actually renew your original subscription at http://billing.microsoft.com and all PCs will show renewed within 24 hours. However, you will need to uninstall and reinstall on at least one PC and use the other retail key and a different LiveID.

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:42 AM
  •  JackBMc wrote:

1)  Must I re-install the new software and create a new Live ID in order to get the full 12 months subscription?

2) Will doing so "burn" one of the two remaining uses?

3) If I reinstall using a new Live ID will I still be able to manage the other 3 computers (all XP remember) on the same circle?  Can I use a central backup for all 3 even though one is a different ID AND a different Operating Program (Vista)?

1. Yes. When you activated with the same LiveID on the new PC, it found your existing subscription and did not ask for a key or credit card.

2. No. You can reinstall as often as you need to within reason.

3. The Circle and all functionality, including Centralized backup, is tied to the subscription, which is defined by the LiveID. So, when you reinstall and activate on any one PC with the different LiveID and key, it will be its own subscription and will not be part of the other Circle.

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:46 AM