none
Distribution of .exe files compiled from VB 6.0 software to users with WIN-10. RRS feed

• Question

• I use VB 6.0 (rather than Visual Studio) to create engineering programs. Some of the programs are of general interest and I provide them (on a CD) with a book I have written regarding applications of combustion in environmental engineering. With the coming of WIN-10, my VB programming seems compromised. How do I use VB 6.0 software with WIN-10 to generate distributable .exe files (which use a variety of .dlls etc. for the components of the GUI?
    Saturday, January 4, 2020 9:44 PM

All replies

• This is a VB.NET forum and not a legacy VB6 COM forum. There are several VB6 forums that can be found by using Bing or Google.
    Saturday, January 4, 2020 10:11 PM
  • Hello,

Visual Basic 6 is not covered here, only VB.NET. Use the following sister site.

http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?1-Visual-Basic-6-and-Earlier

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Saturday, January 4, 2020 10:25 PM
  • With the coming of WIN-10, my VB programming seems compromised. How do I use VB 6.0 software with WIN-10 to generate distributable .exe files (which use a variety of .dlls etc. for the components of the GUI?

Generally speaking you can expect your VB6 software to run on Windows 10.  If you are using an installer it may simply be that you need to 'Run as administrator'.

You would be best asking your VB6 programming questions at:

Microsoft support VB6 programming (VB6 Support Statement, VB6 Programming IDE Installer)

Sunday, January 5, 2020 10:03 AM
  • "coming of win 10" ??

LOL.

You know that the next windows or whatever it may be wont support it?

Its time to learn vb.net /c# and move up to the next windows and also add a real installation package.

You will be amazed how much better your app will be after you rewrite it with all the new features.

You will be so happy when you have software you can trust to run on all systems and does not break in the middle of the night because someone hacked the threed.vbx and distributed it to every one with an HP printer. No more run "generally speaking" and "run as admin" worries.

How much time and $$ do you spend now trying to keep that old 57 chevy running? How many tech support calls?

Would it not it be fun and much better spent learning to drive a new 2019 Corvette than more time duct taping on the old jalopy ???

Do yourself a favor.

:)

Sunday, January 5, 2020 10:49 AM
  • With the coming of WIN-10, my VB programming seems compromised. How do I use VB 6.0 software with WIN-10 to generate distributable .exe files (which use a variety of .dlls etc. for the components of the GUI?

Generally speaking you can expect your VB6 software to run on Windows 10.  If you are using an installer it may simply be that you need to 'Run as administrator'.

You would be best asking your VB6 programming questions at:

Microsoft support VB6 programming (VB6 Support Statement, VB6 Programming IDE Installer)

This is only encouraging this person and others to post what should not be posted in this forum, please refrain from this.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Sunday, January 5, 2020 12:07 PM