Windows XP Pro Upgrade (retail pack)!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Let's say i have Windows 98 retail and now i got XP Pro Upgrade. Will i get full support from Microsoft using Upgrade version, does licenece work the same as in full XP Pro retail? Can i use it again on another PC if i'm upgradeing?

Cheers

Friday, September 1, 2006 11:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• A retail upgrade version of Windows XP includes full Microsoft support.  That license can only be used to install and activate Windows XP on one (1) computer.
    Saturday, September 2, 2006 12:04 AM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:
    A retail upgrade version of Windows XP includes full Microsoft support.  That license can only be used to install and activate Windows XP on one (1) computer.

So Full retail version can be uesed on another PC in case of upgrade, but Upgrade version works the same as OEM, if i'll install it on PC it's forewer and if i'm upgrading i can't use it anymore, right?

Saturday, September 2, 2006 9:44 AM
  • BigAndy,

An upgrade license for XP, when installed, must by definition also include the base W98 license because it is the thing being upgraded.  When the XP license is installed, the two (the original W98 and the new XP Upg) become a single license "entity."

So once the two are together, they can't "cheat" on each other by say using the W98 license to install W98 on another computer, or by say using the XP upg license to install XP on another computer.

If you want to use the XP upgrade license on another computer, you have to first "divorce" the original W98 full and XP upg licenses, then "marry" the XP Upg license to another qualifying product which is being upgraded by the XP Upg license.  Then, the two become one for licensing purposes.

Saturday, September 2, 2006 5:16 PM
  • OK, but if i'm upgrading PC and using the same W98 and XP Pro Upgrade again?

All i want to know is, let's say i'm upgrading my PC 3 times a year and if i'm using THE same copy of W98 and THE same copy of XP Pro Upgrade can i use it all the 3 times? So if i'm using the same copies of W98 and XP Pro all over and over again will i get full suport from Microsoft each time i transfer both OS's from one PC to another?

Cheers

Saturday, September 2, 2006 7:43 PM
  • BigAndy1979,

As long as they are retail versions, AND as long as they are on only one computer at a time, Yes.

Hope that helps,

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 12:42 PM
  • que debo de hacer si el windows que benia con elñ ordenador era original y de repente no
    Tuesday, September 5, 2006 2:44 PM
  •  tomas saez corral wrote:
    que debo de hacer si el windows que benia con elñ ordenador era original y de repente no

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 3:55 PM
  • A retail version of Windows XP includes full Microsoft support.  However, you can only use that license on one (1) computer.

Microsoft also offers an additional license service to customers who have legally installed Windows XP and have an immediate need for an additional license due to work stoppage or other unforeseen circumstance. In the U.S. and Canada, call the Windows Product Activation Call Center at 877-426-6010 for more information on how you can take advantage of this service.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 2:28 AM
  • To: BigAndy1979

I hope it works for you. I am new to this MS thing and stuff but what i was told over the phone was that if you replace major components in the PC then this contributes to an issue that this is a new PC. Of course there is only 1 Box, Mouse, Kboard, Fan etc.. but when the motherboard is upgraded then MS classify that as a new PC and thus need a separate License for it. I THINK (only think) that the WGA and MGA tool calculate the configuration of the PC (like a Hash sort of thing) and that is what the 4-digit code comes from. If the hardware config is changed then you will get another code.(all harware has a different serial etc..)

This is only my speculation. Do NOT take this as final word. I am a newbie..

Peace

Friday, September 29, 2006 10:08 PM
  • ola voces da micorsoft quero muito baiar o internet explorer 7 no meu micro computador pra ser rapido

quando entrar na janela principal obrigado por eu baxar

Saturday, September 30, 2006 2:18 PM
  • ola bom dia quero muito baxar o inernet explorer 7 pra pode ter frutos dele

ate logo abraços

Sunday, October 1, 2006 4:38 AM
  •  carlos eduardo da wrote:

ola voces da micorsoft quero muito baiar o internet explorer 7 no meu micro computador pra ser rapido

quando entrar na janela principal obrigado por eu baxar

Sunday, October 1, 2006 4:45 AM
  • Windows XP Pro Upgrade (retail pack)!!!

Monday, October 2, 2006 6:21 PM
  • And, if i have an OEM Version of Windows 98. In this scenario, can i upgrade to Windows XP Professional (Retail-Non OEM)?

Thursday, October 12, 2006 2:03 PM
  •  nikolej wrote:

product key

How to ask a sensible question
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375/en-us

Friday, November 3, 2006 3:33 PM
  • It's possible to upgrade from OEM, as long as it's a genuine Windows version. 

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:02 PM
  • Windows XP Supported Upgrade Paths: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292607

Windows XP Upgrade Guidelines: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/default.mspx

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:18 PM