WHS endlessly cycling re-boot after update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.  WHS Installation issues.  After prompted for update, which put (at least) IE8 on machine, WHS (w SP2) boots, gets to Admin log-on screen and shuts down immediately (5-8 seconds), only to repeat cycle endlessly.  Safeboot via F8 on boot makes no difference. 

First install completed yesterday successfully on P4 dual core 3GHz IA PC which had run XP for a couple of years.  Foxconn MB.  1GB DRAM, 2x1.5TB+ 2x750GB data drives, 1x80GB drive which WHS partioned 20G for itself and free'd 60G for data.  Looked/worked great until installation of update.  All drives visible and working.  Network "healthy" and two home-pcs successfully connected.  Connector software was updated automatically it appears overnight too.  Since server is up for just 5-8 seconds, there's no chance to access it from another instance of administrator on a home pc. 

What am I missing?  How do I get out of endless loop.  Already ported a lot of data to the 1.5TB drive.  Re-install of WHS OS will likely reformat drives right?  And the option from WHS installation is ONLY "new installation."
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:33 AM

Answers

• Hi everyone.  WHS Installation issues.  After prompted for update, which put (at least) IE8 on machine, WHS (w SP2) boots, gets to Admin log-on screen and shuts down immediately (5-8 seconds), only to repeat cycle endlessly.  Safeboot via F8 on boot makes no difference. 

First install completed yesterday successfully on P4 dual core 3GHz IA PC which had run XP for a couple of years.  Foxconn MB.  1GB DRAM, 2x1.5TB+ 2x750GB data drives, 1x80GB drive which WHS partioned 20G for itself and free'd 60G for data.  Looked/worked great until installation of update.  All drives visible and working.  Network "healthy" and two home-pcs successfully connected.  Connector software was updated automatically it appears overnight too.  Since server is up for just 5-8 seconds, there's no chance to access it from another instance of administrator on a home pc. 

What am I missing?  How do I get out of endless loop.  Already ported a lot of data to the 1.5TB drive.  Re-install of WHS OS will likely reformat drives right?

A Server Reinstallation wipes only the OS partition, not the rest of the data.

And the option from WHS installation is ONLY "new installation."
    In order to get Server Reinstallation as an option, you need to make sure A) that all of your hard drives are visible on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen and B) that your primary hard drive is the first drive seen by WHS (which usually means make sure it's plugged into port 0 on the mobo if it's SATA and the primary channel if it's PATA).
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:34 AM