I may be a victim of software counterfeiting. RRS feed

• Question

• I got this response when I ran the "WGA":

This copy of Windows is not genuine[0x80080208]
    You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. The Windows product key installed on this computer is not genuine. The product key is a unique identifier assigned by Microsoft only to genuine Windows software. If this key is missing or incorrect, it may indicate the presence of counterfeit software and your system may be at risk.

There are several reasons why a product key may not be considered genuine.

The Windows product key installed on this computer was not assigned by Microsoft. The key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a non-sanctioned key generator. If Windows came pre-installed on your computer, learn how to get genuine below.

The product key found on your computer has been detected on multiple computers. Product keys are only allowed to be used on one computer unless otherwise specified in the end user licensing agreement.

Counterfeiters have been known to sell computers with Windows installed, all using the same product key, to unsuspecting consumers. If you suspect this happened to you, learn how to get genuine below. If you have used this product key on more than one computer, you will need to purchase a new product key.
    Each computer must have its own unique product key.

When prompted, I followed the confirmation details:

Selected: Start, My Computer, Help then Is this Copy of Windows Legal?

Ran the Windows Valuator.
    Windows came with the purchase of a new PC.
    Was able to locate your Certificate of Authenticity.
    The Certificate of Authenticity that most closely resembles mine is the Blue/Green with Keyboard.
    The words 'OEM Software' appear beneath the product name in the centre of my Certificate of Authenticity.
    "Your CD exhibits Microsoft’s anti-piracy features."

These features are designed to reduce counterfeiting, and their presence on your CD is a positive indicator of a genuine Microsoft Windows operating system. If you acquired your Microsoft Windows operating system as an individually boxed product, your box should contain a Certificate of Authenticity.
    For more information on the Certificate of Authenticity, locate your product on the How to Tell Windows Category Page.

The only difference I found was that the Microsoft logo on the bottom front of the CD has two different Versions. One is a bordered font, with what may be a topographical map/globe of the world and the other is a filled font with what looks like a grid map/globe of the world. This logo also has binary in the top left to centre and bottom left. There may be a smaller font binary series on the right side top and bottom. There also appears to be something else but I cannot make it out. It does not, however, appear to say GENUINE.

On the inside of the CD in the 180-degree hologram however there is the word Microsoft and that changes to the word GENUINE. There may be something at the beginning and end of the same security feature but I cannot make it out.

This appears to me to be a genuine Microsoft product, or a forgery that has come out of a press that makes genuine Microsoft CD's, COA's, Product Numbers, Activation Keys, Microsoft Booklets, cellophane wrapping and Microsoft stickers of a quality indistinguishable from the real article.

I would like someone to have a look at this and two other Microsoft Software Products I have that meet the same level of scrutiny. Without letting the complete set in part or in whole leave my possession. As I may need to give this problem to the police if I am the victim of a crime.

How can I achive this?

Friday, May 19, 2006 2:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• BAmikem1:

Can you download and run this tool?

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please press “copy to clipboard” and paste the response on the forum.

Thanks,

Greg

Friday, May 19, 2006 2:25 PM
  • WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0526.1):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-R2YJ3-KWRVJ-VMFRY
    Windows Product Key Hash: EEo6lu0F0DiVeeblWYNElwF/fm0=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-1730361-23993
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: NY6FCJ9
    ID: adf23dc5-4416-41fb-9a9c-6ae05c40d383
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.526.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>adf23dc5-4416-41fb-9a9c-6ae05c40d383</UGUID><Version>1.5.0526.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PID>55274-640-1730361-23993</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-823518204-220523388-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1007.008</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051219000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>2B000101040100000001020100150E7E89F1120584F0091F8B2B39EDEFE66048BFEB210000000000000000</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>AUS Eastern Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

NOTE: Mozilla is not used on this machine, it is used on this machines server.

Friday, May 19, 2006 3:52 PM
  • BAmikem1:

The current Product Key being used on your system is non-genuine (labeled Invalid Product Key) for one of two reasons:

- The key was made using a non-Microsoft sanctioned Key Generator

- The key was reported lost or stolen from the original purchaser.

Can you verify that your COA matches your Product Key? If it does not, the same advice (given above) will follow:

1 - Reinstall Windows so your COA matches your Product Key (install using your COA as the Product Key) - This is the preferred method by Microsoft, as it will be a fresh copy, void of potential hacked binary files and security loops that may have been created to bypass WGA. We know this is usually not the user preference, but it is the safest method.

Information about locating COA stickers is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

2 - WGA is underway to create a tool that will allow you to switch your current invalid/non-genuine Product Key being used to your COA sticker *ONLY*. There's no slated timeline, but it will be soon. This will allow you to change product keys being used without a reinstall.

HOWEVER, if it DOES match, I suggest taking the media back to the reseller to resolve the problem, or filing a Counterfeit report with Microsoft. If the report is of high quality media, you may qualify for a free WGA kit. Otherwise, you can purchase a WGA kit directly from Microsoft.

Thanks,

Greg

Friday, May 19, 2006 4:32 PM
  • Where do I take the software if it's high quality media?
    Friday, May 19, 2006 4:40 PM
  • BAmikem1:

You can fill out a report here:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

Thanks,

Greg

Friday, May 19, 2006 4:48 PM