event viewer RRS feed

• Question

• Tonight we had a phone call from a chap in india saying he was tech support for windows. We never done anything on computer but we checked our event viewer and we had several red errors and several amber warnings.Has any one else had the phone call and is it genuine.
    • Moved by Ken Warren Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:16 AM off topic for Windows Home Server forums (From:Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation)
    Friday, February 12, 2010 11:02 PM

All replies

• I never had a call like that. But if I did I ask how he was able to look at your set up with out your knowing and the next thing would do is block you system from the internet and look for security hole some were. Check fire wall.

My next question is what else was he look for or at? I don't mean to sound alarm but you can't be to careful these days. Hope you don't keep finacial records or presonl infomation that protected some how.

Tony [A.Ham]
    "Today is the First Day of The Rest of Your Life, because No matter How Far You Go There You R."
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:06 AM
  • Don't worry about it - sounds like a scam.  All event logs will have at least one red error for some reason or another.  So I think they are just playing on peoples fears - I'm pretty sure microsoft don't have free time on there hands to cold call users and tell them they have problems with their product.

Red errors are not always fatal or damaging - it should be taken in context.
    --
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:19 AM