none
What to learn to gain employment RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 20+ year career in RPG/AS400 programming.  I took some beginning courses in C# and .net using VS2010.  There is so much out there to learn...  It's overwhelming.  What should I actually learn so I can retool myself and get a C#/.net programmer position.  Please help...
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:45 PM

Answers

• First of all, decide the types of applications that you want to develop. For instance, if you take a look at the job listings and you see a strong demand for ASP.NET developers, then you may decide to become proficient at developing ASP.NET applications in order to qualify for one of these jobs.

Once you have chosen a target technology, find the appropriate resources on the net and start there. Continuing with the previous example, if you finally decide to tackle ASP.NET, go to www.asp.net and see the various resources and tutorials available there.

This may be enough for you, or not. If you find that you need further training, there are plenty of books and courses, either instructor-led or distance learning. Some of these can be found at the certification page that matches your chosen technology (for instance, see http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-562&locale=en-us#tab3 ).

The same web site also lists the certification exams that you can take. You don't need to get a certification, but it may be a valuable asset when applying for a job.

• Proposed as answer by Dimitri C Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:43 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 11:03 AM

All replies

• First of all, decide the types of applications that you want to develop. For instance, if you take a look at the job listings and you see a strong demand for ASP.NET developers, then you may decide to become proficient at developing ASP.NET applications in order to qualify for one of these jobs.

Once you have chosen a target technology, find the appropriate resources on the net and start there. Continuing with the previous example, if you finally decide to tackle ASP.NET, go to www.asp.net and see the various resources and tutorials available there.

This may be enough for you, or not. If you find that you need further training, there are plenty of books and courses, either instructor-led or distance learning. Some of these can be found at the certification page that matches your chosen technology (for instance, see http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-562&locale=en-us#tab3 ).

The same web site also lists the certification exams that you can take. You don't need to get a certification, but it may be a valuable asset when applying for a job.

• Proposed as answer by Dimitri C Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:43 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 11:03 AM
  • There are 1000 of way to gain emp, bottom line is that. Go with your intrest, i say go for SQL DBA/Dev, other Java Dev, .Net etc etc. You have to decide what you have intrest for that.

Good Luck

addarr.wordpress.com

www.addarr.com
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 11:31 AM
  • Since I have done database applications most of my current career.  I thought I'd like to do desktop/server appliactions.  Business applications.  Maybe WPF with SQL as the database.  I'm also already proficient with SQL because I currently use it on my current platform.  I've taken two courses on C# and like that so, I'm looking for the right path for employment. 
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:35 PM
  • I don't really want to do websites(ASP).  I'd rather do database apps since I have business experience from my current career and maybe that will be the easiest to learn right now.  Thoughts?  Also, I'm not sure what kind of money is in developing phone apps but that peaks my interest as well.  I know WPF a little, I know SQL and I took two classes in C# so I just didn't want to waste time and concentrate on something where I could gain employment soon.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:39 PM
  • A good site to start learning is MSDN itself.

For example: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/hh341490 (for learning C#, Visual Studio 2010, .NET Framework 4.0)

For WPF, this might help: http://www.wpftutorial.net/LearnWPFin14Days.html 

Dimitri C. - Please mark the replies as answers if they help! Thanks.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:04 AM