Make 2 Standard Servers communicate RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have 2 AD forests, in each I have a OCS standard server running. Both servers work fine user are having no issues. Is there a way with out using an edge server to make users from one server talk with the other. Both servers have access to each other.

Anyhelp would be great.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:15 PM

All replies

• The 'supported' answer: If you are referring to configuring Federation between the two systems, then you will need to deploy an Access Edge server in both organizations.

That said, there may be some 'hack' way to allow communications between the two, but I haven't heard of anyone getting it to work.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:19 PM
  •  

Jeff thanks for you reply, I think you are right. I don't even beleive there is a hack possible to do this. I do belevie that I can get away with 1 edge server and use it for both istead of having to install one for each forest. I am in the process of trying it now.
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Would it be possible to make this work using Mediation Servers, one for each organization? Could the external interface of a Mediation Server joined to one organization talk to the external interface of another Mediation Server joined to the second organization?

I have no idea if this would work, just curious if anyone has tried this.

Jamie Schwinn

www.systmsny.net

Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:47 PM
  • The only function of the Mediation server is to convert native OCS audio streams to standards-based streams for a gateway or compliant PBX.  It does not function as a SIP router.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:21 PM
  • It wouldn't have to function as a router, the Voice Policy, Phone Usage Records, and Routes would determine that the call was destined for the other organization and send the call to the Mediation Server. Mediation Server would transcode to from RTMedia to RTP and send the call on to the external interface of the other organization's Mediation Server which would treat it as any other inbound call, convert back to RTMedia, send to Director/FE, perform directory lookup, send call to OC destination.

Again, I have not tried this, I'm just posing a hypothetical scenario.

Jamie Schwinn

www.systmsny.net

Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Your setup sounds similar to ours in that there are 2 seperate forests with two distinct SIP namespaces.  The only way to have your OCS Infrastructures communicate with each other is to setup Federation between them, each having their own Access Edge. 

The Access Edge Server needs to have a next-hop network address defined and since that internal server must be a member of of one of your Forests, the Forest then becomes limiting factor.  The Access Edge can answer for multiple SIP domains, but the A/E has no routing logic that allows it to connect to multiple next-hop servers or decide which forest traffic should be sent to/from. 

Even if you could get traffic from a single Edge inside one of your Forests, you're just moving your problem to a different location.  You would still have the same inter-Forest routing issue that you had on the Edge.  We tested this extensively with no luck.  Per MS guidelines, you need to have at least 1 Edge per Forest.

Rob

Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:14 PM