WHS 2011 Backups Fail on Certain Machines, Failures Cause Database Corruption RRS feed

• Question

• I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out this issue.

Like so many others, I'm having the "stall at 1% for 15 minutes then fail" issue with WHS2011 backups, but only on certain machines.  Here's a quick rundown of which are working, and which aren't:

• Win7Pro x64, UEFI.  These are desktop machines, all failing.
    • Win7Pro x64, BIOS.  Media Center box, backing up normally.
    • Win7Pro x64, BIOS.  Notebook, failing.
    • Win7Ultimate x86, BIOS, Bitlocker enabled.  Notebook, backing up normally.

All of the client machines are fully up-to-date, none have any exotic drive configurations (no RAID, non-NTFS partitions, etc), and all are running MSE.  One of the failing UEFI machines was just wiped and reinstalled.  None of the machines have any vendor-installed crapware.  Also, the WHS itself was just wiped and reinstalled in an attempt to resolve this, but to no avail.

In each failing case, checking the logs on the client machines reveals that VSS starts when the backup attempt begins (if it isn't running already), then shuts down after a few minutes "due to idle timeout" (EventID 8224).  Typing "vssadmin list writers" at a command prompt reveals no errors.  In all cases, VSS is set to Automatic start, and Chkdsk /r reveals no errors.

On the server, if no machines have successfully backed-up yet, the only log entry of note is one stating that the failing machine sent an abort process message, reason 5 (EventID 269).

Now, if another machine HAS successfully completed a backup, this is where things get ugly.  The failing clients will fail as usual, then the Client Computer Backup Service will stop running on the Server and refuse to start.  Checking the logs on the server reveals a file-not-found error when checking the size of "F:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\Data.4096.1.dat" (EvendID 271).  A visual check reveals that the file is, indeed, missing, although there is a Data.4096.0.dat file.

Because the Client Computer Backup Service won't start, I can't repair the backups through the Dashboard, so I'm stuck deleting the contents of the Client Computer Backups folder, effectively wiping out all the successful backups that were done.

Sunday, February 5, 2012 6:14 PM

Answers

• Yes, server 2012 does support UEFI backup and now WHS2011 does so as well. See here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by SDWolf Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:19 AM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:16 PM

All replies

• Try running chkdsk /f on all of your disks. I have used this to fix a number of problems similar to yours which appear to be unrelated.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Thanks, but I've already done this ("chkdsk /r" = "chkdsk /f" plus surface scan).

The problem doesn't seem to be errors on the disk, but rather the backup service doesn't seem to be communicating with VSS, since VSS starts, then idles until it times out.

• Edited by SDWolf Sunday, February 5, 2012 9:12 PM
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Oops - my mistake. I meant /r which you have already done.
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 10:56 PM
    • Win7Pro x64, UEFI.  These are desktop machines, all failing.
    This one will never work. UEFI boot machines aren't supported for backup/restore.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 6, 2012 1:22 AM
  • Ken,

I have an HP Desktop Model h8-1360t that has a Formosa motherboard uith an AMI BIOS version 7 or version 8 that is compatible with UEFI, it also has the Win7Pro x64 OS.

My question is this, if WHS 2011 does not support this machine for backup and restore, does the new Windows Server 2012 support it?

Thanks,

Elmer

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 4:26 PM
  • Yes, server 2012 does support UEFI backup and now WHS2011 does so as well. See here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

• Marked as answer by SDWolf Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:19 AM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:16 PM
  • Ken,

I want to thank you for yesterday's post about the hot fix for UEFI support on WHS 2011.

After I installed the fix and rebooted the server the backup for that PC worked perfectly!

Hopefully others with this problem will find the post and correct the problem also.

Again, many thanks!

Elmer

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:15 PM
  • That will be "Phil" then!

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Wow, I'd given up on ever seeing a fix for this issue!

Unfortunately, the Hotfix Request system appears to be down as I write this, but as soon as I can download and install it, I'll give it a try and post a follow-up.

Many thanks, Phil!  =)

Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:26 AM
  • Follow-up:

The hotfix you linked has, indeed, resolved this long-standing issue!  All of my machines are backing up successfully, even with the Client Computer Backups folder stored on StableBit's DrivePool.  =)

Many thanks, Phil!

Friday, March 15, 2013 5:26 PM