How to read from Windows Home Server hard drive used for DATA RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings everyone !

I used to run a Windows Home Server with 3 hard drives.

Recently we had a water disaster, since the computer cased that was used was an Antec P180 wich has the power supply at the very bottom, only the Power Supply and Motherboard are out of function. It seems that the primary has drive also had writting issue, therefore it's readable but won't boot into Windows Home Server.

I really need to backup the files on those 3 disks. I was able to run Ubuntu from a USB stick, all the data on the 3 drives seems accessible. I bought a 1 TB external hard drive to backup those 3 disks, but I'm getting lost in all those random / strange folders WHS made to store my files. I was thinking of running a Mini Windows XP USB Stick to do the backup but I need to know wich folders contains my data and or if there is a utility that can read those drives and restore my data from those 3 disks.

Thank You !
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:13 PM

All replies

• There is no utility to restore your data. You can read the disks by connecting them to a computer and using Windows Explorer to browse to <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\<sharename>. You'll find your files split up amongst the three drives. (I'll note that the DE folder is a hidden folder.) If you had duplication turned on for one or more shares, you'll find two copies of those files, on two disks.

There is no tool other than Windows Home Server which will read your backup database, so you shouldn't worry about that, and any other data in the storage pool is either property of an add-in, or was created/placed there by software which (presumably) you installed.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:36 PM