Will Product Key still work??? RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if this is the place to ask this question. I would like to give my copy of Windows XP Home Edition with Product Key to a friend. Question is: Will the Product key still work for him??? Thank you for your help. My two computers are running Window 7, so don't need XP anymore.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:09 PM

Answers

• Hello diamondchair72,

You are permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) to transfer (give/sell your choice) retail licenses of Windows XP.  The transfer has to include all of the materials you got when you first received the license (Certificate of Authenticity, hologram installation disc, product key as printed on the Proof of License label, packaging, etc).

In order to transfer an OEM license for XP, because once installed the OEM license and its original hardware cannot be separated, you have to transfer the license and the computer together as one unit.  As above, all the materials you got have to be sent along to the transferee.

If you follow the rules, the product key will work.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:09 PM

All replies

• Hello diamondchair72,

You are permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) to transfer (give/sell your choice) retail licenses of Windows XP.  The transfer has to include all of the materials you got when you first received the license (Certificate of Authenticity, hologram installation disc, product key as printed on the Proof of License label, packaging, etc).

In order to transfer an OEM license for XP, because once installed the OEM license and its original hardware cannot be separated, you have to transfer the license and the computer together as one unit.  As above, all the materials you got have to be sent along to the transferee.

If you follow the rules, the product key will work.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:09 PM
  • Thank you so much for your answer. I have the orange in color 3 fold package. Hologram installation disc, product key and Proof of license label, and two books. But I don't see Cerificate of Authenticity. Or did I miss it

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:29 PM
  • Hello diamondchair72,

Sounds like the retail package.  The CoA is on the outer boxtop of the retail display box.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:19 AM
  • Oops, now I have a problem. I didn't know the CoA was on the boxtop and didn't keep it. Any ideas???
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Hello diamondchair72,

The CoA for a retail package has some numbers and bar codes on it, but does not have the product key.  The retail package has the PK on the yellow-orange label that's affixed to the inner folder.

So the person getting the disc and product key will be able to install and activate, but technically the transfer won't meet the letter of the requirement in the EULA.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:42 AM