Restore a file from shared folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I purchased WHS to keep all of my data safe, and now I really need it to come through for me.  I moved all of my irreplaceable photos onto the shared folder of my server to make sure they are safe and to access them from elsewhere in the house.  About 2 weeks ago, I unknowingly and accidentally deleted a huge subfolder full of pictures.  I went to restore my photos from the most recent backup, but I was shocked to discover that my server does not appear on the list of computers being backed up.  Is it possible that these pictures are gone forever, even though I moved them onto my server specifically for safe keeping?  Please help.

Jon
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:06 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server does not automatically back the contents of it's shares up. (Where would it back them up to?) If you've added a server backup drive (see the console help files for more information) and run one or more backups to that, then you have backups of your shares. Otherwise you don't. If you don't, you can try the steps outlined in this thread, but if it's been two weeks since you deleted the files, it may be too late to recover them.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:38 PM

All replies

• Depends on how you got them onto the WHS.  Did WHS backup as normal (and now there's no recored of that) or did you copy the files to the shared directories directly?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Windows Home Server does not automatically back the contents of it's shares up. (Where would it back them up to?) If you've added a server backup drive (see the console help files for more information) and run one or more backups to that, then you have backups of your shares. Otherwise you don't. If you don't, you can try the steps outlined in this thread, but if it's been two weeks since you deleted the files, it may be too late to recover them.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Where would it back them up to???  Well, I guess I would expect it to back them up to the server backup drive, as you said.  Isn't this main purpose of WHS to provide backup of my files?  I guess I was under the mistaken impression that WHS would protect my data, which is why I made sure to move all of my important files to the server in the first place.  Why wouldn't the server backup it's own data??  This is very upsetting!
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:23 PM
  • If (as you said) your server doesn't appear in the list of computers to be backed up, then you never added a server backup drive to your server. So the server has no place to back up your shares.

Even if you add a server backup drive, though, you will still have to take backups of your server manually; the built-in functionality doesn't include a way to automate the backup of the shares.

This is all documented in the console help, and on the support page of the Windows Home Server section of microsoft.com.

Monday, January 25, 2010 11:16 PM